First Aid for Remote Workers

Hi everyone, 

I work for a company that is 100% remote (previously it was office based) and part of my role is to update policies and procedures.

I'm looking to update some of our policies, to take into account that we are now remote workers and in particular I am looking to update our First Aid Policy. We provide first aid kits to all of our workers, does anyone have an example remote working first aid policy I could look at please? I'm at a complete loss with this one, and I 'm not sure what should be included?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Emma 

• You could make it your policy that they hold a 1st Aid At Work qualification. Details can be supplied by an organisation such as St John's or a private supplier of 1st aid training.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

25 Jul, 2022 15:50

In reply to David Perry:

Are you thinking about somethijng like this, David?
    www.sja.org.uk/.../

Isn't this overkill? Assuming that remote means home-based, any first aid would be administered by the employee themselves, at home. Common sense, etc.

It may be different if they work from a co-working space[?]

Are we really talking about advising employees on basic H & S precautions at home?

• Not a specific policy but I have a checklist that everyone must complete that asks if they have access to basic first aid provisions, if they answered no I'd get them a basic FA kit ordered.

I have other info in a WFH guidance doc about taking care of H&S at home (e.g visually inspecting cables etc supplied by the company), assuming they have contact details of someone that can help in an emergency that doesn't require 999, reporting accidents that occur during the working day in the same way and so on, but they need to be aware that the control we have over the safety of their home is very limited so they have a responsibility to take care of their own H&S and let us know if they have any concerns etc.

I basically say "use your common sense" without actually saying it as bluntly as that. And tbh If we had someone who didn't know what to do if they had an accident in their own home I'd absolutely quit being in HR on the spot!!
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

I was assuming remote meant as in a remote location - not at home - why issue 1st aids to someone working at their own house?
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

26 Jul, 2022 10:27

In reply to David Perry:

Well, that is the question David.

Can you help clarify for us, Emma?
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Not targeting you particularly Emma, but is this really what we do in HR? "Parent" people to the extent that any personal responsibility or sense can go out of the window?
  • In reply to Annabel:

And policies are there to help, you don't have to have one if it doesn't make any sense to your organisation as it develops.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

26 Jul, 2022 13:24

In reply to Annabel:

Doesn't hurt to repeat that from time to time, Annabel.
  • In reply to Annabel:

I would not provide a first aid kit but would provide a fire extinguisher. Someone competent needs to do a risk assessment.
  • This might seem like an odd thing to suggest, but why don't you ask on Twitter, and tag with #remotework Or I can ask for you, let me know. Many of the remote companies are out there sharing practices, they might be able to help. It's not something I've come across in any of their handbooks.
  • Hi Emma, pre-pandemic I had a lot of staff already working from home. You might find the HSE website a useful source of advice and policies: www.hse.gov.uk/.../. I created a home/remote working risk assessment that covered off all the usual H&S risks (workstation set-up and equipment, fire safety, accident reporting, etc.) and bought a first aid kit for each worker to have in their home and in their car as they had to travel a lot for work. We only had about 40 staff though, not sure how feasible that would be for your org if you have a lot of remote workers. Every year I asked them to complete the checklist again to ensure that everything was still safe and to indicate whether they needed any replacement first aid items. We only provided first aid training for one or two appointed persons in the offices and for those who needed it that were running events with the public. Those just admin based from home/remote didn't need it. Those offices that we shared with other orgs usually had an appointed central first aider, usually a member of the reception team so it was just about making them aware of who that was and what to do in an emergency. Hope this helps!
  • Might it be more efficient to wrap it in a wider home-working policy to cover the wider aspects of health at home too. the HSE have a helpful outline, risk assessments and a position on RIDDOR for home accidents too here: www.hse.gov.uk/.../index.htm
  • In reply to Tracey Wond:

As I said, it is a health and safety issue.