WTD and agile working

Hi All,

An interesting conundrum has just hit me.  We have a number of employees - myself included - who use agile working to work on site and then drive home, do the school run and continue working from home.  The drive home and school run is the unpaid break.

I am looking at adjusting my hours as both my children will be at the same school from September and the school day finishes a little earlier. This would mean on a Friday, the school run - and therefore my unpaid break will be at the end of my working day, since by the time I leave to do the pickup, I'll have completed my 39 hours. 

I wondered about whether this would be allowed, since unpaid breaks should not be at the beginning or end of the day and by the time I leave to do the school run, I will have completed an 8 hour day.  

How strict should we be about this?  What are others doing?

In anticipation.

Jo

• It’s an interesting one. The WTR are H&S inspired and therefore in general the reason for an exception or not applying is far less important - they are there to protect the employees health and safety. . As you know there is a requirement to have a 20 minute break in a 6 hour shift and as you say this can’t be tagged on to start end. Therefore you are ( I believe) in breach.

Is this ever likely to come to light? Possibly not. Do lots of people work through lunch or not have a 20 minute break while say wfh? Probably. But these things aren’t baked into the Rota although the result May be the same.

Your employer shouldn’t allow this (imo) but that’s just an opinion.