Remote Working Mandatory 8 days

Hello,

I am a civil servant and have been for 25+yrs and live in Northern Ireland. When COVID struck I was sent on special paid leave until further notice. I seen this as an opportunity and volunteered through the Cabinet Office as part of the COVID 19 taskforce on for a 2 year loan.

I took up a post within Health in London and worked 7 days per week 16 hrs per days (no overtime). In  the highest profile Directorates for  two years remotely from Northern Ireland. And I was lucky to pick up a promotion and move to the department permanently.  

The department had in place a return to work to the office four days per week which I did. I flew over for four days. When I was in the office I was on my own. My team is spread across the UK. And we met via teams. I just went into the office, to say I was in.

The department now have made an eight day per month mandatory policy which for me is something I cannot do. My mother was diagnosed with Dementia in June and I am her main carer and this disease only gets worse. I have submitted a carers passport but to be honest I now find the four days difficult leaving her and I spend my time worrying about her when I am away.

I feel used by the department and let down. But I am not to sure what I can do for the future. I have proved my role of remote working works, I have done it for over two years. I just go in because they have made it eight days.

Thanks

Joanne

• Can you make a flexible working request and highlight how successful remote working has been (and perhaps offer a couple of days per month in London)?
  • In reply to Helen:

I have asked this morning. I just don't understand why there is no point at all in going in. But thank you I have requested 3 days per month.
  • In reply to joanne sawyer:

I've encountered a lot of people in similar situations, Helen. In your case, you should definitely submit a flexible working request. Given that you have ample evidence to demonstrate that the demands of the role can be met remotely on your current arrangement, it will be very hard for your employer to justify not granting your flexible working request and, as you're in the public sector, you should have it approved without much challenge. But if you're in a union, you might like to call in the support of a union rep or regional officer to underline the point in bold.

If they refuse despite having no good grounds on which to do so, you should check whether there is any room to have a without prejudice conversation about a settlement. If not, you will be left with little option but to resign. If you are minded to claim constructive unfair dismissal or illegal discrimination (probably indirect sex and/or disability discrimination given your caring role) you should be sure to resign with immediate effect and without notice as your argument will be that your employer, by refusing your request without reasonable justification, has unilaterally dissolved the contract of employment.
  • In reply to Robey:

I would also explore the scope for a breach of contract claim or redeployment. I would hesitate to push the nuclear button of resigning with immediate effect. If you must resign, giving notice is seen as sensible mitigation, which does not prejudice the CD claim.
  • In reply to Robey:

I'll complete the flexible working request now. Thank you.