Work from home expenses - house plants?

Hi everyone,

First time posting here so I'm sorry if this is covered elsewhere - perhaps in a broader sense.

We have a member of staff who has bought £90+ of house plants and is trying to expense these to the company. Their reasoning being that the plants are support items and for air purifying purposes which are required for home working. You cannot make this up.

It has become an issue because a subordinate of mine 'joked' with them about using their work-from-home allowance on plants and they took that as permission given. We are a small, completely remote company (>20) and our policy on this is short and does not explicitly list all of the things that staff can buy as work from home aids (most commonly, ergonomic aids and external monitors) but states that these kinds of expenses should be 'reasonable' and 'essential to our business, values, and mission.'

I guess my, probably stupid, questions are:

1. Does your company or any that you know of allow the purchase such as plants or similar support items as company expenses, if they are for an employees work from home set up?

2. How do we go about making sure this or something similar does not happen again? We try hard to be a supportive employer and as small NGO, we had hoped that our employees would be more sensible with their budget and not to exploit loopholes in our current policies. We understand the benefits of having plants and have previously suggested that such items could be considered - but only with express permission from the member of staff in charge of the budgets.

Thanks in advance for your help.

• This is a great example of context being king! One person’s joke is another person’s ’yep, that’s entirely signed off’.

Probably best to explain to this particular employee that houseplants are not essential working from home equipment and therefore won’t be reimbursed, update the policy to be more explicit, and remind your colleague that not everyone will take their jokes in the manner they intended…!
  • if the air purifying plants were mandatory in your office, if the plants are the scientifically proven air-purifying kinds, if the plants are from the types/sizes/brands/etc that your office would have bought (say, office depot for plants), and if the home is also h&s and risk assessed that the type/number/size of the plants were appropriate for purpose, and if the employee will be potentially paying for the damage of the plants and will return them back almost as good as new when they leave the employment.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

26 May, 2023 07:36

Welcome to our Community, Charisse. Glad you asked this question Tulip

• We haven't allowed it I will say that up front

But I think it would be a great idea to allow a small budget that colleagues can buy something for their home work space that makes them feel happier and more productive in that space (and its probably not tax free sadly).

(and by the way its not really a loop hole if you have said previous colleagues can consider plants...thats almost a green light)

• My question here would be whether they would have been able to expense a plant they bought for their desk at work. Or photos.

Everyone personalises their office space, and it would be an extremely generous employer who bore the cost for that.

£90? Have they got room for the computer on the desk still?

Good luck!

Nina
  • If they need oxygen they should do what everyone one else normally does. Breath more often and if its warm open a few windows.
  • My immediate reaction is that I would be inclined to say no completely to this request, but given the context and that you've said that previously you may consider items such as plants as long as it's approved by the budget holder, thus maybe making this a bit of a grey area, I would probably on this occassion agree that we'll reimburse a small contribution of what they spent.

Maybe £10/£15 but the rest of the cost is their responsibility as they actively chose to go and spend £90+ on houseplants.

Even if they thought your colleagues joke was a green light they should first have clarified how much they would have been allowed to expense back, every expense policy would have some kind of upper limit imposed on any purchase so they shouldn't have expected to be able to go and buy up half the houseplant section of their local garden centre and have 100% of the costs paid by the business.

Learning opportunity for all involved I think.

On a personal note, houseplants would just stress me out as I simply cannot keep them alive! :)
  • Welcome to the community Charisse.

I don't think it's a stupid question. Personally, I think the person asking should probably reflect back on the reasonableness of the request. I wouldn't buy £90 of plants expecting someone else to pick up the tab if I hadn't checked that was an okay level of expense.

They might not be able to judge tone or jokes from legitimate permission and my guess would be, as a small company, you might be policy light and not have such a strict sign off procedure for expenses.

I'd advise a quick chat, perhaps a one off token payment towards this if you feel it's necessary to smooth the waters, and perhaps some clearer wording in the policy to catch things for the future.

I'd make it light touch and generic as it probably fits your culture. I've done that for some start up clients and it works well. It stops a policy becoming huge trying to cover all those incidences that aren't covered originally but crop up. Good luck.
  • It's a really interesting one. If you and other people in the People Team/Management feel uncomfortable with that, it's is probably not aligned with values of your organisation and it's worth having a courageous conversation with the employee about levels of trust etc. If there was a small wellbeing budget, perhaps people could buy plants from it, but I don't think home-working budget is for that. I don't think HSE mentions anything about purity of air being a requirement for people working from home and as employers, we need to provide people with safe environment but I don't think that includes purified air :-)
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

2 Jun, 2023 09:09

Hi  ,

You opened with a corker! Your thread has been read over 2,000 times this week.

What do you think about the advice you've received so far? 

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

Hi Steve,

They've been great, lots of food for thought and different perspectives to consider. We've now managed to solve the issue with the colleague and are taking this instance as a learning opportunity, as many have mentioned.

Thanks,
    Charisse
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

2 Jun, 2023 10:51

In reply to Charisse:

Thank you, Charisse. Good stuff.
  • It appears that this employee is not equipped with appropriate working conditions for remote work. A thorough risk assessment would likely reveal the need for the employee to resume full-time office work, where air quality is superior. 

Wink

• Nice that you have put your thoughts across, everyone has there own mind set so better talk to the employee and clear the same explain that houseplant are not really essential and the expense policy is having certain limits...Good luck..