How should I approach introducing a flexible working policy?

Hi All,

I am required to provide my approach on how to implement a revised Flexible Working Policy.

My approach is to identify the key stakeholders and their involvement, and develop a communications plan.

If you have any other suggestions, I would be very grateful.

Thank you,

DP

• Hi Daniela, bit disappointing to see a lack of responses and while I can't say I have anything hugely valuable to offer here's a couple of starters for ten. First, I tried to google 'implementing a company policy' and got a few results. While this won't necessarily address your situation it may help to get the brain buds thinking about what you may have done, what may benefit your situation or what should be included in your plans. Second, you may like to try looking at the winners for the People Management awards and perhaps even Personnel Today awards. I feel pretty certain there would be organisations implementing flexible working (or similar) initiatives so there could be some lessons to pick up from them. Hope this helps. :-)
  • Hi Daniela,
    I think your approach sounds good but for me it would all depend on what the changes are that your are implementing with the revised policy and the intention behind it. For me this would hugely influence the approach as the change could be more of a cultural change if its significant or just a little change that would be easy to communicate through different channels.

So what the messaging is and what you want to achieve with this policy should influence how you go on about this.
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

20 Jun, 2023 08:05

Hi Daniela this is the latest (May 23) guidance on Flexible and hybrid working practices - you should find some useful recommendations and evidence-based data to feed into your thinking. www.cipd.org/.../
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

20 Jun, 2023 08:34

In reply to Clare Marie:

Big topic; big question... and posted over the weekend. Johanna has signposted some CIPD resources, and I did like this recent blog post:
    community.cipd.co.uk/.../flexible-working-in-front-line-roles-what-is-possible

• Hi Clare, thank you for your suggestions, very useful. I am thinking to include SMART obj and follow project management plan process.
  • Hi Clare, thank you for your suggestions, really useful . I’m thinking to follow the steps of a project management plan.
  • Hi Saskia, thank you, really good insights to consider!
  • In reply to Johanna:

Hi Johanna, thank you, have already got those resources.
  • Some useful suggestion here, but I would add one important step before all of them:

Familiarise yourself with the legislative framework that supports flexible working. The first objective is to ensure that your employer is legally compliant. Everything after that is gravy.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thank you Steve, really useful post.
  • In reply to Robey:

Thank you Robey, that's something important to consider, brilliant!
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

20 Jun, 2023 11:38

Hi again, Daniela.

We have just published a new flowchart to help navigate through the process for responding to a flexible working request: https://www.cipd.org/uk/knowledge/tools/flexible-working-request-flowchart/

NB for others: This content is UK only as it's based on UK legal requirements.

Our two guides on flexible working requests, one for employers and one for employees have also been updated.

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thank you Steve! I have got the revised policy, the flow chart and I wanted to get more ideas on what steps to take to implement the revised policy in an organisation - I would probably need a plan of action or guide myself with a project management plan.
  • Hi Daniela, you have some great advise and signposts below which will help you work this out. I agree with Robey below and I also offer a wee challenge. Flexible working is about legal compliance and it can also be about how best to support and balance the needs of our people, business, customers and be in the spirit of our culture and values. You can get some great examples of what to include and I think wide engagement, involvement, comms and on-going support with making a policy live and breathe in the business will be key to make good on any changes. Reading a few change management articles could help give some simple frameworks to hang your plan on. Good luck.