Parental leave during school holidays

Good afternoon, im hoping i can gather some advice.

We have an employee, (almost 2 years service) who works full time, her daughter started school last year and as you know the summer holidays are coming up, shes asked if she can take 2 days per week off unpaid (or wfh) throughout the summer holidays. Her manager isnt keen on the idea because it would cause issues for the remainder of the team.

i work for a law firm and ive tried to explain parental leave....

• Hi - I would agree that the manager needs updating on the legislation around parental leave. The employee has presumably given sufficient notice (21 days +, start and end dates, not necessarily given in writing)?

The employer can delay (but not completely withhold) parental leave *only* for very specific reasons (www.gov.uk/.../delaying-leave).

It's unpaid leave - can a temp be hired for the two week period to minimise disruption? Presumably the employee can usually take two weeks of (paid annual) leave without the remainder of the team falling apart?
  • Hi - i interpreted this that she was asking to take two days off a week for the six week holiday, rather than a two week block of leave.

My understanding of parental leave is that it has to be taken in full weeks, rather than individual days. Therefore she could take two full weeks (or indeed up to four if she hasn't already had any parental leave this year), but taking 2 days a week isn't an entitlement and is only possible with the employers consent.

I can sort of see the manager's issue of having someone out for 2 days a week for 6 weeks as that would probably have quite an impact on the remaining team and it would be difficult to get cover for 2 days a week for such a short period of time.
  • In reply to Maya:

Maya, i didn't interpret it that she was asking for two weeks parental leave. i think she is asking for 2 days off a week for the whole of the 6 week summer holidays, which doesn't qualify it as parental leave which has to be taken in full week blocks
  • In reply to Teresa:

Oh, good point! Yes, agree that under the legislation it does need to be taken in full week blocks.
  • In reply to Maya:

would we still be able to allow her to take x2 days per week unpaid?
  • In reply to Hazel :

If you wanted to allow her to take 2 days a week unpaid leave, there is nothing to stop you
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

18 Jul, 2023 06:20

In reply to Hazel :

...and you mentioned WFH. Has that been pursued as an option?

Although that does take us into Flexible working and childcare territory.