Annual leave

Morning,

we have an EE who is rapidly using up their annual leave balance, only four months into the leave year. The manager is concerned about the EEs wellbeing (not having enough leave to take a break later in the year) and the possibility that if they do need a break later in the year, it will be taken under the guise of sick leave. Although we don't have one of the typical reasons to decline the most recent annual leave request (such as other people being off at the same time etc), is it reasonable to decline the request due to the reason stated at the start of this post? I suspect not for a number of reasons. 

I'm going to suggest that the Manager discusses his concerns with the EE, but ultimately am I right in thinking the manager cannot decline the request just because it will leave the EE with little to no annual leave? I will also advise the manager to check if the EE is willing to share the reason for so many annual leave requests, in case it can be taken under an alternative policy (parental leave etc).

Thankyou!

• Unless you have a clear "policy" then when the employee takes AL is pretty much up to them. You can refuse it but not sure how that will help.

I too would suspect there is something more behind this so a discussion makes far more sense than simply saying no
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

18 Aug, 2023 07:36

In reply to Keith:

Quickest reply ever? ;)