Flexible working - 4 day week for 6 months, 5 day week for 6 months

Hello,

I am interested to see how others may approach this request. We have received a request to work 4 days a week during the quiet half of the year, with a 20% reduction in salary, and 5 days a week during the busier period of the year. 

If the manager can consider this, I am interested to hear how others may approach the contract in terms of salary and holiday. Pro rata across the year wouldn't work as accruals would not be in line with what they would have really accrued in holiday which could cause issues come termination of contract. They would also be getting paid less during the 5 day weeks than they should be, but having different salaries for different parts of the year, feels onerous and risky to manage. 

Has anyone implemented something similar?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how it could work?

Thank you

Steve

• Personally I would annualise it and pay 1/12 every month. Seems too much of an error waiting to happen otherwise.
  • Having done something similar in the past, the only way to make sense of it was to treat it as an annualised hours contract. In my situation, the staff worked longer hours in the summer to make the most of more daylight hours (they worked outside) and shorter hours in the winter. The only way I could make it stack up with all the things you mentioned was to annualise it.