Hybrid working - recording days in the office

Hello - we have recently introduced hybrid working and staff are required to work from the office for a minimum number of days each week.  Currently staff enter their Working from Office & Working Form Home days in an Excel spreadsheet, from which HR then do reporting.  Is anyone able to recommend a more appropriate piece of software/app for this task?  

• We considered a number of options and looked at software that could support but after a long conversation could really understand why we needed it tracking so carefully. We have now allowed each LM to keep an eye of things instead of centrally tracking it.
  • Hi Linda,

What is it that you're trying to achieve with this? Is it understanding where people are or monitoring or something else? Might your HRIS have this functionality?
  • In reply to Alys Martin:

Hi Alys, we want to check that people are doing their required number of days in the office. Unfortunately this isn't something our absence management software can help us with. Our HRIS is Excel.
  • In reply to Linda:

I really don't see the point ....but

Could your IT system show when they have logged in via the office as opposed to remotely? (If they are office workers?) Would be simplest way
  • In reply to Linda:

I'm not sure how valuable this is personally but I'm guessing you've got reasons as you've decided to do it as a business!

I think I'd follow Alun's approach and get LMs to make records. They can always submit them to you if you wanted to have a central record. They should really be the ones managing absence/attendance anyway.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

30 Sep, 2021 15:34

In reply to Linda:

"...doing their required number of days in the office."

Playing devil's advocate: why? Isn't the point of hybrid working 'flexibility' of where you work in order to do the job you're paid to do? Unless this will be used as a tool to help manage the availability of workspace in the office setting. Intrigued.

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

That's a very reasonable question to ask. Face to face working is important to the company and they want to ensure that it is maintained going forward
  • Hi Linda,

We use an app called officely in slack which allows employees to 'check in' the days they go in to the office, we started doing this to ensure we didn't have too many people in the office at one time but now we use it as we are switching over to agile working thus need to ensure there is a desk space for people as soon we will have too many people for desks so just trying to get ahead of the game.

Hayley
  • Linda, we use an app called sign in, they can physically sign in at reception or download the app and it will automatically log them in and out. We use it because if we have to evacuate the office when we do a headcount we have info to hand (well mobile). We have found this has worked really well, it took a couple of weeks for it to be ingrained into peoples norm but gentle reminders have helped.