Hybrid working and home office requirements

Hi Everyone,

As we move out of the pandemic, my company is very ready to move to a hybrid working model.

I just wanted some feedback on number 1, if you are moving to this kind of option, are you 2 or 3 days in the office?

But the more important and number 2 of my queries for me, is when working from home, should we the company need to be providing equipment at our cost?  I see lots of differing information on this.

We are putting together a risk assessment for the employee to complete to ensure they are at least set up and sat correctly.  But what about those people who have no desk, are working at the kitchen table on their lap etc.  I understand we have a duty of care, but does that move to covering costs for correct chairs (expect for those that have a disability and already have special measures), more screens, printers etc?

Many thanks,

Emma 

• Yes, you have to provide safe working environment for your employees wherever they are working, so if you want to move to a hybrid working arrangement which involves people working at home for part of this, you do need to make sure that they have appropriate workstations in the same way that you do if they are in the office. So you should get them to carry out a workstation assessment and if that indicates that their work station isn't appropriate, you would need to provide them with suitable equipment
  • In reply to Teresa:

The option we have taken is if we know people don't have the correct set up at home, we are prioritising them to come into the office more often, as we still have more than enough capacity for other to split their week and have a few people that need to be in maybe 5 days a week. This seems to be working well and supporting those that don't have a suitable environment at home.
  • Hi Emma, re hybrid there is no perfect model re time in the office v time at home. In fact you may need to vary this depending on the role someone undertake - not everyone has to work the same pattern. 2/3 and 3/2 are the most popular generally in terms of what employees actually want. But you can do 4/1, 1/4 etc. I am aware of some teams that are going to do 5 days in the office and 5 at home, or where some months when it is busy people will work full time in the office and have the quiet summer months at home. It is about what works for you. If you have not already done so, try a survey of your people to see what they want. You don't have to set anything in stone - you can start out with some patterns and see how they go. Just tell your people that is the plan - run some focus groups to see how it is working once you start and adjust as you go. If you have a variety of role types with different needs, you may want a category type approach - eg, cat 1 is 2/3, cat 2 is 4/1 etc. Then work with managers to see what category applies to which role. Just be transparent with people about what level of hybrid they can have and why - you won't necessarily be able to meet everyone's personal requirements.
    As for equipment - you can write it into any policy that people must have a safe / secure work station at home - but that does not mean that you need to necessarily pay for an entirely second set up. Be flexible for disabled staff and make reasonable adjustments as necessary.
    Gem
  • Hi,
    We've taken a needs basis approach, so people need to come into the office when its more effective and/or efficient to do so. Some teams have agreed a minimum of once per month or once per week, but some are being less prescriptive than that. We are doing it on a pilot basis and have communicated clearly and openly with staff on different circumstances that might be better in the office. Everyone is able to be in the office fully if they prefer it.

Equipment-wise we have followed a similar approach to Gemma, we have said everyone is office based and thats where equipment is provided, but should they wish to follow a hybrid method and work from home they will need to ensure they have a safe and secure workspace and we have provided risk assessments to detail out how they should be set up.