Careers

How are you seeing careers and their progression in todays (2022) era of hybrid working?

Are you adapting your career model to a lattice or hybrid model? What are the issues you are facing and why?

In my view as more and more work moves to knowledge working the requirement of place and time shift and change from the previous ear of work (IR1.0 and IR2.0) where most work was routine and place bound. Today over 60% or work is no longer place or time bound as previously bringing with it a new set of issues, such as

- personalisation of a career

- individualised pathways of learning and skills needed

- a more flexible approach to what a career is and what it means (like work, participation and life)

- an increasingly collaborative and team based experience

- and more cross functional project related work

There are implications on how leaders and managers behaviours will need to change and the increased use of internal talent marketplaces to allow for the flexible deployment of talent and to meet career aspirations by providing opportunities to learn and experience. The need to instil psychological safety in the organisation to enhance the contribution of employees and finally how people will be rewarded in this new work /career landscape.   

What are your views and experiences in this transformation of work?

• Just a question. What is the source for 60% of work not being place or time bound? It seems a very high figure and not one I recognise. Whilst a lot more work is not place bound ( but less so time free) I struggle to see it being anywhere near 60% so would be fascinated by the source. You only have to think of many jobs ( teaching, most health care, retail, production etc etc ) where the “old” rules may still apply.

Welcome to the communities.
  • In reply to Keith:

I've seen the figure of 60% as being the approximate number of UK jobs that could be performed remotely. I can't recall my source on that one. I wonder if it's related?
  • In reply to Keith:

I read it somewhere not sure if it was People management last year or elsewhere. I was more concerned with the number in SEA and Africa where most jobs are still in place and i was thinking farmers, miners, stevedores in ports, retail workers, transport drivers. I think in more service economies the number could be higher and 60% sounded realistic and work done by a colleague in 2021 noted that the number had risen well above 30% in some of the SEA. But its an estimate at best and where the worker can be remote and not place bound depends on technology and connectivity for the deskless worker.
    I will search for the reference i have a feeling its in a paper by APEC Oct-Nov 2021
  • In reply to Robey:

If you recall please let us know because I am struggling to find it
  • In reply to Robey:

H Keith and Robey I found the report but nit is messy because in includes and excludes informal employment which is problematic as it was work form home but the USA was around 55% and we can assume less informal workers like Luxemburg at over 60% while Canada and Australia were just below 50% but Bangladesh was over 85% but includes large numbers of informal Chile was as 40% informal and 30% from anywhere and places like Mozambique WFH was as low as 20% but informal working was very high over 60%. So i am assuming we made a calculation with informal and work from home (digita knowledge work) as being around 60%.
    I will check with Richard and Fernando and see if we can get the data form UN or UNESCO, they were co-aurhtors.