HR consultancy

Hi,

I was hoping to get some recommendations for HR advisors?

We just got our quote in from Peninsula and we will be shopping around! Just looking for an advisory service where I can call for a second opinion.

Thanks!

• Look locally, then, and ask around. There are certain to be one-person companies or small consultancies that will be happy to offer a second opinion either in return for a monthly retainer or on a case-by-case basis.

The advantage that businesses like Peninsula, XpertHR or HRInform have is a large knowledge pool, backed up by solid insurance policies and teams of employment law experts.

The disadvantage is that these structures incline them towards a risk averse position that focuses upon the legal implications of issues without considering the wider, strategic picture. I have, for example, frequently seen them give advice that is accurate and legally sound, but which nevertheless ignores the "human" component that is at the heart of our professional work. Whereas a local consultant is more likely to take the time to understand the priorities of your business and the extent to which it is prepared to tolerate risk, as well as being able to look more strategically at the impact of decisions upon the workforce as a whole.

The other disadvantage is that your first-line adviser at the big consulting services is rarely more qualified than the average HR Advisor - CIPD 5, with some operational and transactional experience. Great for small businesses with no organic HR, but largely worthless when you're already Chartered MCIPD and just need to bounce your thoughts off a peer. Small consultants are likely to have be operating at a senior level or have insight from a wide range of businesses that will give you the perspective you need.

Your local CIPD Group probably has half a dozen such people in it. And your other local business contacts - recruitment agents, suppliers, transport partners etc - might be able to recommend someone they've used in the past.

• Graphitehrm?
  • Hi Louise we are a leading HR consultancy based in Dublin but covering all ROI, and happy to do a proposal or talk to you abut HR advice, just get in touch anytime -thanks Joyce joyce@voltedge.ie 01 5252914
  • In reply to Alan:

Hi, only seeing the replies now! Graphite was who we were with but they are no longer provide a HR advisory service only. They have bundled up with an EAP and other bits that we do not require and can not afford! Thanks anyway!
  • In reply to Joyce Rigby-Jones:

Perfect Joyce, shopping about today so will shoot you across an email!
  • In reply to Robey:

Thanks for the comprehensive response! We are looking to go smaller this time and have reached out to some smaller companies to get quotes, unfortunately no-one providing it locally. I had found that the advice received from Graphite could vary depending on who picked up the phone and could take 2-3 to get a confirmed answer so I'll agree with you there.

Only getting around to shopping around now so I'll also reach out to business contacts for recommendations.
  • Elcons would be worth chatting to if you’re shopping around.
  • In reply to Louise:

Have you contacted your local CIPD network group? I live in rural Gloucestershire, but there are at least six small consulting businesses within 20 miles that I know of through my network so unless you're based in the absolute middle of nowhere, I'm certain that there are small consultancies locally. If you're not sure where to start, or your local network isn't very active, then try your local chamber of commerce.
  • In reply to Robey:

Thanks, we are rural Ireland. So quite middle of nowhere! But have found a local company based on your advice.
  • I have used IBEC and Adare HRM in the past and found them very good.