Middle East Salary Expectations

Hello,

I'm currently exploring employment opportunities in the Middle East (probably Dubai but maybe Qatar) and note that many employers ask for salary expectations as part of the application process. Despite extensive research, I'm struggling to work out if I'm going to be under-valuing myself, or pricing myself out of the market. 

Would anybody be able to give me an idea of Learning & Development Manager salaries, particularly in the hospitality sector (but also interested to see how this compares to other sectors). Additionally, if you have any info about what a decent benefits package looks like, that would be great.

Many thanks,

Rachel

• Hi Rachel,

I don't have any direct experience on the matter, but I just searched for some of your keywords on Glassdoor.co.uk and found a bunch of examples.

Regards,
    Charlie
  • In reply to Charles:

Thanks Charles - I'll take another look.... most of the job sites I was looking at had a spectrum of 'average' salaries but they were so wide ranging!
  • In reply to Rachel:

Hi Rachel

Know nothing specifically about expat working in Dubai etc but from general past experience gross expat salaries anywhere mean nothing much at all on their own - it's what's likely to be left after tax and essential expenses particularly housing and food and transportation and healthcare and pension etc provision etc etc etc that really matters. And all that usually fills up very many pages of detailed location-specific information: eg expatra.com/.../
  • A few years ago our organisation needed to set up an office in Dubai which was to be staffed by an expat who came to work for us from another Dubai based company. Our business isn't in your sector but we had some general guidance from our locally based lawyers about the types of benefits package which were typical and we crossed referenced that with general research on jobs pages. I'm not able to share detail on figures but one thing which we were advised is that companies were cutting back on the level of packages on offer compared to the past. There is an end of service benefit which is payable when you finish your employment with your employer which is based on a proportion of basic salary only, therefore sometimes you find basic salary will be kept to a lower level but you get a variety of enhanced benefits. Typical benefits might include: relocation package of a one way flight from home country to UAE plus x months accommodation (level of accommodation to be agreed), monthly car allowance, annual return flight to home country (class of travel to be mutually agreed), residency (visa) costs, housing loan (we were advised fully expensed accommodation was becoming less usual but a housing loan is quite common as there is a tendency for rental agreements to require a significant up front payment), if you have children sometimes school fees up to a certain age might be offered. A certain level of medical cover for the employee is required by law but some employers will provide a benefit of family cover. This is by no means exhaustive and as it is a while since we had to look at it, things might have changed, but I hope this helps!
  • In reply to Nicola:

Many thanks David and Nicola for your thoughts and input.
  • Hi Rachel,
    For hospitality, the general trend in the industry for UAE & Qatar is still to provide basic salary, plus either actual accommodation or an accommodation allowance, medical cover, etc. as benefits, L&D Manager salaries vary based on luxury status (if hotel-related) and what the company expects from the position. You could use a vague "in line with job responsibilities" response for the application until you have a better idea of the market. If you send me a message with what type of role you're looking for, I may be able to give you a bit more background information.
    Good luck!
    Julia
  • Hello Rachel,

Depending on the size of the organization the pay varies between 20000 Dirhams to 35000 Dirhams per month. (Of course, there are few companies who pay more or less that this range)

Aside from this, you should receive
    - health and dental insurance
    - annual return flights to home country
    - work visa