New York employment law

I am working on an organisation structure for our New York office, as a starting point for putting an employee handbook and some senior level contracts in place (junior staff have up to date contracts) with potentially differing benefit provisions for different levels of seniority (have to try to grandfather in some UK rights/contracts).    Nailing this properly is therefore quite crucial. 

Having checked, on paper everyone reports into the same individual but this is not what actually happens in practice, there are clearly more than two levels in the hierarchy.  In the UK, I would have no hesitation in saying that reporting lines in contracts and job descriptions often don't keep pace with what happens (promotions/joiners/leavers...), may not always be updated as efficiently as one would like and that therefore what actually matters is the reality of what happens on the ground if subsequent events alter/change reporting lines stated in contracts or job descriptions.

Does anyone know if New York labor law takes a similarly pragmatic view on this?  Would like to send an org chart to our lawyers and would like to send the one reflecting reality, not what was written down 6 months ago, in the hope that we can rely on it and that reality trumps theory when in comes to reporting lines/levels of seniority.  The issue is potentially emotive and I want to tread carefully.  

• Hi Anka,

It should not be a problem to alter supervisor/management structures from a labor perspective, assuming it is all justifiable. As you eluded to, the issue will be with winning hearts and minds. Hopefully if you are just trying to document what is actually happening, then it should be received ok. Is the office head or equivalent person on board?

Good luck,

Leo