Relocating to the US from the UK - are HR skills transferable?

Hi,

My partners job is relocating us to america and I want to know how hard it will be to transfer my HR knowledge from UK to US? I have done my CIPD L3 and studying towards my L5 currently, will my qualifications be recognised as well? I don't know if anyone has done this or can advise or if I will have to start all over again when I go?

• Hi Charlotte,

I haven't made this move myself, but have supported US HR both directly and also indirectly through a HRBP reporting to me.

The rough equivalent to the CIPD in the US is SHRM (https://www.shrm.org/). It may be worth contacting someone there to get some specific advice depending on the state you'll be moving to, as the employment regulations vary from state to state. They may also be able to advise on transferability of CIPD qualifications to SHRM certifications.

I hope this helps!
  • In reply to Alexandra Townsend:

Thank you for your advice. I will see if I can contact someone at SHRM to see if they are able to advise on this.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

30 Jan, 2023 14:50

In reply to Charlotte Jarvis:

Hi Charlotte... and welcome to the Community - at least for a bit ;)

There are some helpful posts on this thread...

RE: HR in the US 

• You will need certification in order to practice in 'merica. A license to skill, so to speak.
    The knowledge you have may well be transferrable but they may want to test it. It used to be via an expensive (in my opinion) multiple choice test, but check various certification organisations for what is compliant with the state you are moving to. Also, the laws and context is different so you will want to gain knowledge on that.
    Your partner's HR dept deals with the place you are relocating to so they should be good for a chat.
  • Good luck Charlotte and I hope you and your partner have a smooth transition to your new home. I've not done this personally and would endorse the advice you have from David and Alexandra. SHRM is key and so is getting your qualifications and experience credentialised.

I know from HR connections and colleagues in the US that there are a lot of differences - especially in terms and conditions, employment rights and so on and these vary from state to state. One of my HR buddies in the US recommended this site to me as a means of checking different rules across the US and which she uses regularly, even though she's based there and American. www.dol.gov/.../contacts

They often use vehicles like an Employer of Record - a vehicle to hire people on behalf of the company that deals with benefits, payroll etc, which I found a little different. I'd recommend networking in advance of arrival. If you are on Twitter then connect with #HRSocialHour and those who run it, take part in chats & build your virtual HR community before you land. if you are not on Twitter - check out groups like the HR Net Group run by Steve Browne who is a super connector.

Hope that helps and all the best with making the move. It will be a very interesting experience whether it's for a couple of years or longer. Good luck.
  • In reply to Sharon:

Excellent point about the Employer of Record or "co-employer" Sharon. It's quite different to any partnership model we have in the UK definitely worth being aware of. An example would be TriNet, where they offer outsourced services and processes, a system for PTO and payroll, and work with you to provide relevant training as required by law or in support of business goals.

Also echo Sharon's pointer towards Steve Browne's groups and Twitter.