Footballers... and how they are treated by their Manager

This may seem like a odd question to ask:

Are you aware of the CIPD or any law firms that have done any study on Footballers and how they are treated by their Manager?  I would be interested to read any report...

Premier League footballers are paid handsomely, although there are many footballers that are not paid a lot of money the lower down the leagues you go.  Some may argue the financial reward is worth the downside of certain behaviours!

My reason for asking is, footballers can be regularly shouted at (from the side lines, we see this on match days and on tv coverage), however, this behaviour can and does continue into the dressing room, which we do not see.  Footballers are reluctant to raise any grievance with a manager due to the likelihood they would never play for the club again and find it hard to get another club.  We now see things making football a more inclusive 'better' sport, with football players taking the knee to support issues of racial inequality, but there is often no support for players who are shouted out and singled out in front of other players in the dressing room.  There is the PFA which will give a some support if a footballer has been at a professional club at some point during their career, other than that a footballer can be left to work things out for themselves and put up with certain behaviours which appear to be acceptable in football, but had a similar situation occurred in an office environment (as one example) behaving in a certain way could potentially see you dismissed.

Many thanks

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

5 Oct, 2021 12:21

Interesting question, Julie. 

I'm sure Alan would reference the BrightHR TV ad.
    twitter.com/.../1445018590546116618

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thanks for sharing a reference to the TV ad with Harry Redknapp being supporting with a new HR assistant, the PFA offer an EAP program too from Health Assured
  • The PFA is one of the most highly resourced Trade Unions in the country. (if in any doubt look at how much they pay their Chief Executive). They can and do influence football to a degree that other Trade unions can only dream of.

However, I suspect there is zero appetite in the game for a serious change in the culture you describe. People will see it as always being thus and always will be. Its interesting as there is far more debate about the perils of heading a football (and some serious attempts to ban it) than the language used or its positive/negative effects on players. Alex Ferguson, one of the greatest managers of the modern era, was famous for the "hairdryer treatment" he gave some players. Indeed many look to him as a model.

Indeed it wouldnt be acceptable in many professions.....but football for now is different and acceptable or not its likely to be here to stay
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

I hadn't seen the Harry ad before!
    It is interesting to see players as assets within the linkedin document
  • In reply to Keith:

I agree the PFA do a great job, although as I had stated you would need to have been a professional footballer at some stage of your career. There are so many that haven't been a pro player!
  • In reply to Julie:

I didn't say they do a great job :-) I actually think they do a pretty poor job. But that's a different question.

Change in football will only happen from the top - if you see your hero's being treated in a particular fashion you will follow it.

• My role as a Group CHRO encompasses a professional football club (Championship), so I do have an insight into this.

My club, and many others, have been conscious of this issue and have been working to address this, especially in academies where we have a zero tolerance. I personally have taken action to 'remove' this behaviour. However, please do not conflate a professional sports team (not just football) with an office environment - it is not in any shape or form the same.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

6 Oct, 2021 10:39

In reply to Robert James Munro:

Thanks for that, Robert. Good point about the academies.
  • Thanks for your reply Robert. I appreciate the comparison between sports and office isn’t the best, I was merely saying a manager wouldn’t shout at an employee as a football manager shouts at an employee who is a footballer. Maybe there are other comparisons I could have used.
    It is really good to hear a club at your level recognising and acting to remove this behaviour. Sadly at lower levels the behaviour exists, it isn’t pleasant and it isn’t nice to be on the receiving end with no support available, unless you risk your career by speaking out.
    Thank you everyone, I appreciate you all taking the time to comment.
  • In reply to Julie:

No manager in a commercial setting, be it office, retail or manufacturing, should rarely if ever shout an an employee - I agree. There may be some instances, for example where activity is likely to result in injury so as to get attention, but that’s about it.

But it is somewhat naive to expect 100% politeness and civility in a professional team sport. I’ve never seen, or would expect to see, a manager or coach say to a player “I would really appreciate it if you could track back to cover with a bit more energy when our full-back goes forward, but only if you feel comfortable with that!”. Moreover a manager needs to shout if the player is 30 yards away and with a noisy crowd.

Abuse, no - but forceful feedback is required at times, and if a player is not playing well the manager will substitute him, or drop him from the team altogether. Would you say that was harsh?