Replying back to emails (after an interview or call)

Hello,

As a general member of the public, I am interested to know how the profession (CIPD), if it has any rules or ethics or best, practises that it expects its members as in HR capacity to respond back to emails from those who had their interviews conducted or looking to just follow up and receive a response either positive or negative.

Can I get any reference to the text from any manuals or code of conduct or or any reference that supports or not supporting that practise? 

Cause to me that is very negligent, even if HR reply to 10% of the candidates out of 1000 as a rule of thumb can be accepted (would not take even one-two hours, I know it for sure even if it is general feedback or specific to the candidate) but not replying at all even after multiple followups is absurd.

Thanks

• Hello

There is no enforceable  code of conduct that stipulates that general requests need to be replied to or even applications need to be acknowledged. Or even that applicants or interviewees have a right to feedback or acknowledgement

Of course many would consider it professional and polite to do so. But that's a different thing.

HR is an unregulated (largely) profession in the UK

• Hello,

Like Keith said, there is no rules or regulations about this. I would say it's very poor for you to have taken the time to go in for an interview and not hear back one way or another, this has happened to me before and it is incredibly frustrating (especially if you have gone in for pre-employment tests/second interviews etc.,).

If no one (HR or Management) can pick up the phone to tell you the outcome of your interview, then maybe it's not a place you would want to be working in anyway.

Best of luck with your job search.
  • I think it's just good practice, particularly at interview level. I also, where requested, feedback to candidates at applicant level (that said we don't have thousands), particularly for young people wanting to break into graduate entry jobs. They usually really appreciate the time taken for tips and advice.
  • I don't think there is any code of conduct around it, but most companies should let applicants know what they can expect at all points of application - I've definitely filled in application forms before that make clear only successful applicants will be contacted further, and I think that can be quite standard. Advertising entry/mid level roles we can get 100s of applications and lots of them are discounted for not meeting "essential" criteria - there's not time to email each of them and tell them what exactly it was that didn't get them through to interview.

I would expect most companies to follow up after interview - I would also expect the time frame for this to be made clear at the end of the interview itself. But I don't think its regulated in any way, failing to do so is just bad manners.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

22 Sep, 2020 11:15

In reply to Joanne Garnham:

We had a good response to a similar thread a few years back (which won't be accessible to "M" as a non-member), but just to reference it here.
    www.cipd.co.uk/.../responding-to-job-applications