Working in HR and taking up role in Union

Is it ethical or conflict of interest to take up Union Rep role while working in HR?

• It depends, if working in ER then there might be a conflict but working in other areas such as L&D or analytics, might not be an issue.
  • Hi Harrid

Sometimes maybe, although much would depend on the circumstances prevailing in the particular organisation.

Union member is usually perfectly fine - done it myself - even to point of negotiating with reps / officials of same union I was in membership of but that's at least potentially problematic, as much more so might be adopting a much higher profile as a union rep - not least because your employers might be more than a little miffed!
  • In reply to David:

Agree with you David, I have been member and negotiated with my own unions. I have asked to take Learning Rep role and working in Rep role could be seen as problematic!! Despite being fully balanced and acting with neutrality and morality, I can be seen as biased!
  • In reply to Hamid:

We have certainly had HR people as union members without there being an issue, though as Stephen says, need to be mindful of potential conflicts of interest. I would have a massive conflict if I were in one of our recognised unions and was called out to strike - mainly because I manage the union relationship in my organisation and deal with the reporting and comms of strike action which I couldn't do if I were called to take action. Which, as a union member, regardless of how I may vote, I feel strongly that that's part of being a union member.
  • In reply to Helen:

Thank you so much Helen for sharing your thoughts.