HR Inform -an 'auto renew' agreement - what are your thoughts?

Hello fellow professionals,

I'd welcome your views on auto-renew contracts and the fact that HR Inform is sold via an auto-renew contract.

I subscribed in 2019 and paid upfront for the year.  In 2020 I received an invoice and again paid upfront for the year.  This year I received the usual invoice but decided not to renew as I no longer need the service (to be honest I haven't used it very much) and I have recently been made redundant.  I continued to receive demands and eventually discovered that in fact the agreement I signed in 2019 was an auto-renew agreement and as I didn't give 30 days notice of termination, I am now liable for the full 2021 cost, even though I haven't used the service at all this year.

This seems harsh and although may be contractually correct, I don't like the approach (I'm receiving continuous reminders and demands from Croner Groups payments team).  I explained my situation and asked them to forgive the oversight of not realising it was an auto renew contract but my pleas have so far fallen on deaf ears and the demands are escalating.

I've been a member of the CIPD for nearly 25 years and have paid my memberships every month without question for all that time.  Am I being unreasonable in asking them to waive the payment this year?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

• In reply to Marie:

Hi Marie

Totally sympathise, and recall my comment back in May 21 (above in thread) which ended: "Perhaps someone from CIPD might care to explain etc?"

No-one ever did, and perhaps they should?
  • I've had a similar experience with this provider and am aware of a significant number of other HR professionals who have had bad experiences with this provider. I would ask the CIPD to review their association with this provider - given so many of their membership have had poor experiences.  I stopped using this service after being given incorrect advice twice.  Found them unrealiable.