Diversity

Perspectives welcome

A potential customer asked over the phone what our cultural mix was and elaborated, two other organisations they were also looking at were predominately, Muslim ethnicity. I replied I didn’t really know, on their insistence, I said I could only hazard a guess, but they were welcome to make an appointment to visit and see if they like our environment. They continued probing and I asked if they would like to hold whilst I asked senior staff.  I asked the question to a group of approx. 3 SLT staff one said we wouldn’t want that type of person here, if they are asking such questions.  I replied I can understand the question as I have been in a minority myself and can understand if someone would feel uncomfortable and asked if I replied 10% would that be approx.

An hour later I was confronted by my manager and told that I may be disciplined for racism.  The reason was and I struggle to understand, SLT say that there is no minority and I shouldn’t recognise minority.

Thanking you.

• In reply to Emily:

Hi Emily
    Thank you for your interest, just to clarify, the customer didn't want to be the only mixed race person, they asked for the ethnicity of the environment because they didn't want to be in the minority.