HR job

Hi all. I have been studying CIPD Level 3 in HR since February. My job is not related in any way with HR and don't have much administrative experience. I volunteer as an administrator. I have been looking for an HR position and apply wherever I think I would be suitable but still no one has cobtacted me. To be honest, I am already desperate and wonder if this Diploma would help me finding a job. Do you think that I need to have more administrative experience and is the voluntary work enough? Any advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
  • I am in somewhat the same position: 18 years as a manager with lots of HR functions involved in that role, recently studying L5 Diploma, and unable it seems to break into HR. Following this discussion to see what others say. Good luck!
  • Hi! I had the same issue and have now finally got into a great entry level HR role with great development opportunities. When I studied CIPD I was in an L&D role with a small company and to be honest i got myself involved with anything recruitment or HR related to gain any ounce of experience. I then took a risk and worked in some temp roles where I would learn HR systems and other roles working in recruitment coordination. Its hard but you will get there!
  • Hi Desislava

It took me 1 year 6 months to finally get my role as a HR Administration Assistant after finishing uni. I had little previous HR experience but a fair amount of admin experience. I got this entry level job and am lucky enough that my Company supports me and I am currently completing the CIPD Level 3 apprenticeship.

I tried approaching company's for voluntary work experience but had very little success. I think it's great that you are volunteering as that will help you gain experience. If HR is really the industry you wish to go into then please do not give up, keep applying and you will get there eventually!
  • The experience is valuable. During my studies I also did volunteering which boosted the prospects back then. Keep pushing yourself and at some point something else will come out. It takes time to build portfolio & experience so that you could then sell yourself. Take on or initiate different projects step by step. If you would like to get a mentor, you could apply for the Step Ahead Mentoring Scheme where you could have one to one discussion with another CIPD HR focused individual.