HR responsibilities

Hello everyone, I am new here, but reading this forum find that you guys are so good and supportive. Talking about support, as it is something that I lack at my current work place. I did have a career break and was excited to return back to employment as a HR Administrator( my first HR job). I am the only HR representative in whole organisation. I have worked for 3 month and find that I actually have nothing to do at work. My current job responsibilities are: invitation for interview, onboarding and offboarding, making sure HR records up to date and update absences tracker which are reported to various managers and I am not aware of half of them. my job description for much more HR job responsibilities. I find myself to be getting bored and useless. When I approach manager I am met with a phrase that 'it's not a good time' and 'there are more important things that needs attention.' So I started looking into policies and procedures. HR proceedures are non existent and when I highlighted it I was told that they are not needed. There are some policies that I proposed to implement, but never heard back. I created recruitment procedure, updated interview questions, updated contracts and proposed changes for induction. I started using HR system which was abandoned and management wanted to change it untill I showed what it is capable of. I don't know what to do next and find myself getting bored and started reading HR articles looking for ideas and got told off for it. Manager proposed to answer phone calls from customers, which I occasionally do. All of it doesn't feel right to me. My job expectations are not met and I started feeling unmotivated. Does anyone else has got similar experiences and what did you do about?
  • Hi Julia,
    Thinking of the 'more important things that need attention' that has been mentioned. Maybe you could help if the managers could take the time to tell you what their pain points are. Perhaps you could ask them to tell you when you are met with the barrier of it 'not being a good time'. To be honest with HR trying to talk to management, it's nearly always not a good time until something goes wrong! I've had this from time to time and when it goes wrong, that's when management start to listen and it's often too late. It's got really bad just lately, I'm trying to stop managers getting in a terrific mess and it's all to no avail. They seem to think that because they're managers, they obviously know what they're doing. In their area of actual expertise, they probably do, but with people management, that is a very different matter. I'm now at the other end of my HR career stepping back from it next year and happy about that.
    From your point of view, if management still don't want to know, then consider looking for a new job, somewhere that might appreciate your obvious enthusiasm.