Change Management Skills

Hi all

I work for a Company who has a very 'old school' / paternalistic management style. This has its positives, but unfortunately quite a few negatives which are preventing the Company from achieving growth and maximising talent potential, etc which we are under pressure to do from our HQ.

I have been brought in to drive change and make improvements. However, with that comes resistance from a lot of employees as 'they have always done it this way', also my MD who is where the culture generates from, however the rest of the management team are on board.

Which brings me to my question: does anyone have any advice for me as a HR professional in overcoming resistance to change, and any advice / tips on how I could build on my change management skills?

Thank you in advance.

A

• Bit dated now but reading Leading Change JP Cotter is empowering in itself - his eight stage model still works for me in supporting/driving change efforts.
  • I know it's stating the obvious but your key task is influencing the MD. He needs at worst rob not stand in the way of change and at best actively support it.

Generally the more you can (a) get him to think this is all his idea and (b) use others ( particularly the SMT and Corporate to influence and persuade him the better. I would be using the SMT via probably a series of workshops /away days to be developing collectively the plans to change and ensuring the MD is involved fully in designing those plans. I would then probably get the Ops Director to lead the change activity reporting to Board /MD.
  • In reply to Kevin Elvidge:

Thank you, I will give this a read !
  • In reply to Keith:

thank you for the advice!