How have you benefited from CIPD member networking in forums, branch events, conferences etc?

I am planning to present to a group of 100+ new CIPD London students on Saturday 27th October and I would really appreciate any examples of how YOU personally as a CIPD member have benefited or how have you helped others through networking.  I want to share some anonymous examples which illustrate the advantages of making new connections and participating in CIPD discussion forums, Meet Up Mondays, Branch events, CIPD conferences and the CIPD LinkedIn Group.  You will see that this survey is anonymous and does not collect any personal data. I will feed back to the LinkedIn Group and Forum.

forms.office.com/.../ResponsePage.aspx

• Hi Michael, some years ago through my local branch I found a new role having been made redundant in my previous role as the branch chair brought to my attention a vacancy that his organisation was going to recruit for. I applied and was successful. I have also advised other members at branch meetings if there was a vacancy coming up in the organisations I have subsequently worked for which may be of interest to them and some of the individuals have found roles.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

29 Oct, 2018 16:40

How did it go on Saturday, Michael? Thanks for reaching out on LinkedIn re the spam comments we're suffering with a bit at the moment. We're on the case.
  • In reply to Catherine Fehilly:

Thanks, Catherine that's a really great example of the value of local branch engagement.
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

The session went well thanks. And the feedback from the survey responses I got was interesting too!

People offered advice to those who might feel nervous to network:
    * Speak to one of the speakers or committee members to start a conversation
    * Take that leap of faith - what can possibly go wrong?
    * Join in - We don't bite!
    * Be available to share experiences with others or ask questions.
    * Don’t stick to the person you came.
    * Attend a Branch meeting – It is a pretty painless way of meeting fellow professionals
    * Meet-up-Mondays are less formal and a more relaxed and laid-back atmosphere (with drinks)
    * If you don’t do it you will miss an important accelerator in your knowledge, career and personal development

They also shared examples of what they had sought or offered within their networks....

Help with research
    Assignment help
    Confidence & esteem building
    Industry trends & insight
    Career options
    Find a new job
    Progression
    Bouncing ideas
    Sharing knowledge
    Making connections
    Templates & Models
    A sense of growth
    Feeling part of something
    Celebrating achievement
    Professional standards
    Planning CPD

Here's the link to the presentation I gave to the new students! www.slideshare.net/.../cipd-personal-learning-networks