Weirdest boss you have had and why? (Bit of fun - let's see how times have changed)

Hi everyone

Thought it would be a bit of fun to see if any of you have been unfortunate enough to have a weird/bad boss in the past.

One of mine (yeah, I've had a few) was in the early 90s.  Just after getting the job, I was speaking to the accountant who said to me (and I quote) "You know why he took you on over the others he interviewed?  He said last time he took on the girl with the biggest t**s and it didn't work out so this time he said he picked the one with the biggest smile".

I have to say, I couldn't wait to get out of there.  Thankfully, the decision was taken out of my hands after he had a major scuffle in reception with a director from another company and the following day we went into administration and were made redundant.

Let's hear your bad boss stories

Lisa

• In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Hi Elizabeth

Thank you. This was happening in my previous role so I am no longer having issues.

I think you have raised some very interesting and valid questions regarding the CIPD and assistance/support they may/will offer.

Lisa

Couldn't agree more @Elizabeth. Our roles often bring responsibility for dealing with harassment that our staff have suffered, and handling it professionally but firmly. It's often a gap for HR staff who have no one who can/will similarly champion their cause when harassment happens. The CIPD could play a vital role here.
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

I'm hoping that Steve or Johanna is monitoring the Communities and can get someone to respond.
  • In reply to Lisa:

Lisa - I'm very glad you are out of harm's way now.
  • In reply to Lisa:

I've had this before and I've made a point of saying 'are you really asking the only woman in the room to make the tea/take the notes?'. Fortunately, my team are actually enlightened and completely (and apologetically) took my point and the rule soon became 'the last one to the meeting takes the notes'.

The low level sexism is disheartening enough but I'm truly saddened by the awful frightening experiences that so many of us have experienced.

Thank you. That is kind of you.

Not that I would ever condone their behaviour, but I CAN and DID more than "hold my own". I guess I (and nobody else) shouldn't have ever had to....

Lisa
  • I worked as a PA many years ago and was asked to collect my boss' wedding music from a very posh music shop in London during my lunch hour. I politely pointed out he could collect it in his lunch hour! I also had a senior partner tell me to get rid of the male receptionist (temporary person) and recruit a blond woman. I pointed out the Equality Act and he huffed off.
  • I had a senior manager (in a hospitality business housekeeping department) who berated a 9 hours a week (minimum wage) single mother and said her job should be more important than her children!

Same manager only recruited a certain type of woman (was overheard declaring to another manager "a bit of eye candy for the office!") or unthreatening "yes-sir" men to roles when he took over, drove out two heads of department and numerous supervisors. He would turn his back on you and walk away mid conversation if you were not 100% positive and in agreement with him on whatever subject he had asked about.

He was horrible - he still works for the company!