Barriers to career progression

We're getting ready to launch our biggest survey of the year to understand what matters most across the people profession. Here's a teaser question for you...

What has been the single largest barrier to advancing in your career?

• Lack of flexibility in terms of Work / Life Balance.
    Limited in terms of PT work available in the Geographical area.
  • Like a few others its been the commute a lot of the big Companies are based in Belfast and the drive into the city from where I live is a nightmare. Also after I had my family the lack of opportunities for PT work or even just more flexible working. I changed jobs last year and was disheartened at the number of HR professionals who were unwilling to offer flexibility in their working hours
  • Lack of confidence in my skills/abilities to apply for other roles.

• In reply to Maisie:

I'm with you on the 'not enough experience'. Even though I have a lot of transferable experience and skills. Took a while to get into HR.
  • In reply to Victoria Dmochowski:

I went to a recruitment agency, and we wrote my CV highlighting all transferable skills but still found it difficult to get an interview!
    Thankfully I found a company that fully supports my learning and progression.
  • If you'd like to tell us more about these barriers, your career aspirations, or where you think the people profession should go, fill in our survey. We’d like your views on what really matters across the profession and will use your insights to inform our research, content and policy work.

Thanks!

• For me, HR being lumped in with Payroll. Whilst I can do the basic math's required for HR bits, I'm in no way qualified to run Payroll. I had a catastrophic interview for an HR and recruitment job a few years ago, which turned out to be half Payroll, half HR (not stated even once during recruitment) - I had a 'fun' surprise Excel payroll test at the end of the interview (badly paid job, interview excessive with presentations and rankings of exactly what order to undertake various processes like grievances etc.) - to sum up, I guess people expecting HR to have some innate Payroll knowledge (I'm sure a lot of us do, I definitely don't!)