HR - 'aka The Fluffiness'

Hi all,

Stepping to the role nearly a year ago to introduce the HR function for a large international company, the past few months have involved a lot of extra hours.

Introducing new policies, processes, recruitment ATS, even rolling-out a whole new Sage system to support with payroll and the  HR documentation/basic processes such as requesting holiday, expenses, sick leave and performance reviews. Sitting with senior management to discuss objectives and organisational structure.

Despite all of these positive changes,  throughout meetings and during conversations with my director the word 'fluffy' is frequently used when something needs to fixed/resolved. 

In some cases, my role is treated as a PA in which case I have pushed back and some requests which are obviously not in the HR remit. I have received feedback that I am being too sensitive etc.

The word fluffy is used by senior board members when I need to be brought in to 'be the nice person' I have advised multiple times that HR is black and white, there to support the business and is not a role which acts as a tissue lady (anymore)/ basic administration. But am I fighting a losing battle? For example, business decisions are made without HR involvement and once it goes wrong, i.e. modern slavery involvement only then am I advised, asked to resolve.

This is a huge culture shift and if it's one person against a whole Company/board, should I accept that the company is too set in it's ways?

They seem to value other areas of the business more and when looking at salary bandings they would consider HR as an administrative function.

Has anyone else received this view in their role previously? I've had 121s with my director confirming that this word under values what I bring to the table/the future department can and I need their investment to demonstrate this to the rest of the board. I've also had presentations noting what HR is...

• In reply to Peter:

Although once upon a time......

• In reply to Peter:

Brilliant... Thanks for sharing
  • I'm loving how this thread evolved into rhymes - it's properly made my day (although I now have a magic dragon singing in my head - thanks people!).
    Steve Bridger - what's the chances of the Xmas caption competition becoming an Xmas rhyme/song competition this year....
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

18 Nov, 2021 13:59

In reply to Ann Simpson:

We're looking at one caption comp, plus another activity. We did do a crowdsourced Christmas 'story' one year, which was I think started by members and was a treat. Again?
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Yes please.
  • In reply to Ann Simpson:

Sorry about the dragon; he's a very friendly beastie though, he seems to be stuck in my head now too!
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

If we were to do Christmas Poems again, I've done a little piece to maybe get the creative juices flowing..... In more ways than one. It's title seems to have evolved to be "Mulled wine!"

Take Cardamom pods, a set of six,
    with three whole cloves to crush and mix.
    Four table-spoons of darkest rum,
    Together with red wine then come.

Half the rind and juice of an orange bright
    Dark sugar, three table-spoons seems right
    Of fresh-ground Nutmeg, just teaspoons half,
    and Ginger too, to warm your laugh.

A Cinnamon stick and eight Juniper berry,
    adds all we need to make us merry.
    Crush the spices lightly, if that need be,
    Warm all together, but most gently

….For, do not boil, ‘twill spoil the mix,
    with loss of spirits we can’t fix.
    When all is near to boiling, strain
    through muslin, serve, then toast again…

To friends and family, large or small,
    A Happy Christmas! one and all!

P

N.B. For information: The recipe is less harshly clove-dominated than most.

• I am an administrator and I promote the fluffiness without actually being a part of the HR team in my organisation. Promoting and hosting virtual cuppas, highlighting EAP services and our MHFA first Aiders. You need to ask for an HR Administrator who gives the impression of the fluffy side without compromising your professional day to day role and integrity of your position. I am now CIPD level 3 qualified and still hoping for a step into the team.
  • "Soft and fluffy? You say that when I'm trying to keep you out of a tribunal - really?"
    That was my answer after receiving such a comment. I think I may have raised my voice just a bit.
    Never had such a comment since.
    Kill the S & F first, then start working on the other great suggestions given by everyone else.