Accurate? (Squid Game analogy)

With credit to Suzie Bogle who posted this on LinkedIn.  I haven't watched Squid Game as I have an aversion to gore.  But this represents my life in HR far too often.  Does this resonate with anyone else?

• I know its only a bit of fun but I think this is how HR managers like to think of themselves but in fact if this is the case then HR hasn't done its job properly.

HRs job (in my opinion) is to create the architecture for the business to deliver its people strategy. Managers then deliver this strategy. If we have created the right architecture (and understood our business and its competencies) and given our businesses, the right tools then they can do it. If they can't then it's not our primary role to step in and "save" them (although many HR bods like doing this for the power/satisfaction it gives) but to create better architecture and to fix the systems issues.

We need to move away from this negative (in my opinion) mind set and towards a more healthy and balanced view of what we do and why we do it, but also what we cant or shouldn't be doing.

(as for the Squid Games - I wouldn't bother - interesting concept but ultimately unsatisfying and a missed opportunity)
  • In reply to Keith:

I don't disagree with you Keith. In an ideal world all Managers would heed advice and follow procedures put in place but .. and it is a big BUT .. sometimes managers just don't want to slow down and do it properly. HR then has no choice but to sort out the mess (or support the manager to do so). This doesn't make me feel powerful - despairing maybe but not powerful.
  • In reply to Deborah:

But do we? Have to step in I mean. I agree we do step in but that's not the same thing.

So for example in your answer you said "slow down" and "do it properly" as if these need to go together. If the business needs / agrees to speed, then we create an architecture that allows this as best we can and are clear what we are sacrificing for that. The Board buy into it and own the new solution rather than it being seen as unnecessary HR bureaucracy standing in the way of efficiency/profit/whatever

Clearly, (and I exaggerate to demonstrate a point) if you allow yourself to be the Corporate clean up squad then the business will accept that role and it is one you will hold forever.

From time-to-time things go wrong and we all have to "fix things" but HR in many organisations has set itself up to allow this to happen far too frequently. It's almost like we secretly like it as it gives us purpose, Seeing ourselves as the people who save managers from catastrophe isn't healthy for me

• In reply to Keith:

I wish I could like that more than once, Keith.
  • If HR are doing that sort of thing it can only mean, they have real power but little influence in their organisation.

Whilst I appreciate the cartoon is just a simple joke, that sort of power relationship just isn't a good advert for any position of power in an organisation, whether its bean counters/accountants , CEOs, Directors, H&S, R&D and/or other managers on. ( I have no idea what Squid Game is! )

I'm not sure its a good advert. We should be leading by being ...."an authority, in authority** -but without being authoritarian". If you have to drag someone to make them do it, you have to ask yourself what you are doing wrong that makes you have to force someone into doing something. Why don't managers listen to you? Why should HR think that it should be in a position of authority over managers who are managing processes which directly contribute towards the effective running and profitability of the company??

If you have to force someone to do something, you must be doing something wrong.

**Oh, and you don't really have to be in authority to have influence. Knowledge is power.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

3 Nov, 2021 20:06

If the relationship is like that... isn't it too late?