What are your views on dress codes at the moment?

What are the general thoughts about dress codes at the moment.

I have been asked to review ours as the standard of dress has slipped slightly over the last couple of years with some people wearing vans, converse or sketcher trainers others wearing hoodies. Most of our branches have a trade counter area with an open plan office, all trade counter and logistics staff are provided with a uniform which they are expected to wear so my question is more aimed at the rest of the office based staff.

My proposed policy is still pretty relaxed and certainly not strict business wear but I'm curious about what other companies are doing, I don't want to be tightening up on our policy whilst other companies are relaxing theirs.

• I'm all for the 'no policies' in situations like this. I think it was the Netflix CEO that said something like there's no dress policy and nobody has turned up naked yet!
  • We have a uniform but only for patient-facing employees - simply so that in public areas patients can quickly identify whom to ask for help. We have a variety of options and have specifically worded the policy so it's not gender-specific.

If people haven't been happy with the options that we can provide and have come with a reasonable option which is broadly the same colour and not super-expensive (i.e. not an incredibly revealing piece of designer clothing) then we'll just reimburse the employee.

For everyone else they can wear the uniform if they wish, otherwise it's just something work-appropriate but even then it's hardly policed (mainly because there's no need to!)

Generally speaking I'd do away with a uniform policy if I could - I have always liked the principle of 'dress for your day' - if you have external meetings, then wear something smart. Otherwise, wear what you're comfortable with.
  • LIke others, we have become much more casual over the last few years. We used to be a jacket-and-tie sort of company (we are professional services), but it reached the point where we would go to a client meeting and everyone else would be in an open necked shirt or smart casual. If you were wearing a tie you felt totally over-dressed and we were starting to look stuffy and old-fashioned.

Dress code was starting to relax anyway and then after all the home-working through covid we've just never gone back to the formal attire. Most people wear jeans and a shirt or nice top sort of combo. Vans etc are fine but not 'trainers'. We don't have a dress code as such, but the guidance is along the lines of "smart casual, no ripped jeans or sportswear". In the Summer the MD was wearing shorts and t-shirt and we all took our cue from him.

I genuinely feel the office is a more relaxed place to be but I know productivity has not dropped at all.

My favourite description for 'appropriate workwear' has always been "if you can see up it, down it or through it then it's not appropriate"!
  • In reply to Steph:

That last part is excellent - definitely going to hang onto that for the future! XD
  • Hello Alyson,

I think your policy on dress code will be guided by the culture in your organization and the promises you make to your clients or how you introduce your company to your clients.

Here are some of the things to consider:
    - Company tone of voice (internal and with clients).
    - Language used written and spoken
    - Nature of your business
    - How You introduce yourself to your clients, images in brochures etc..
    - general use of formality in the company (like process, approvals etc..)

Some of your staff have to wear uniforms, so you could consider smart-casual for office staff so the difference is not too big.