How big is your HR team?

Hiya,

I've just been having a chat with our MD who has said he thinks our HR team is "chronically under-resourced" in relation to the amount of activity we undertake.

We're a GP provider and work across 7 sites with about 250 employees (both clinical and non-clinical) 

Our HR team is made up of:

1x HR Director (at around 0.5 FTE across 2.5 days, but works out at about 1.5 days with one day taken up with meetings each week)

1x generalist HR Advisor (me - 1 FTE across 4 days)

1x Apprentice HR Admin (0.8 FTE across 5 days)

Our payroll is internal and separate to HR although we obviously have a close relationship. It's NHS so we have a pretty large and continuous (!) recruitment requirement. From my perspective it does feel like we're doing a lot of firefighting and never getting much opportunity to pursue things to make the organisation better. 

I appreciate that all organisations are different (and I have my own thoughts on how our team should look and what improvements/efficiencies could be made technology-wise), but I just wanted to get a bit of an idea of how other teams look.

• Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

25 Apr, 2023 14:11

In reply to Steve Bridger:

Pleased to see this thread still 'giving'. Keep it coming.
  • I'm a standalone for a headcount of 85 but we have a really efficient HR system so I get to bounce around lots of project work which keeps me happy. I definitely do not need anyone else. I was working somewhere with 2 of us for a headcount of 115 and it was a struggle because there simply wasn't enough work for us both.
  • In reply to Robey:

Hi Robey, that's really helpful - thank you. I agree that "chronically under-resourced" feels like a bit of an overstatement but it's nice to have the MD on side and advocating for us.

What I'd had in mind already (and spoken about with HRD and MD) is that if we had additional resource of c. 0.5 FTE at my level or the HRD level then that would set us about right, and indeed the responses on here are suggesting that more and more. Our administrator is still an apprentice so still on a learning journey - once she's more up to speed (which feels a bit chicken and egg, because if I had more time available I could show her how to do more and build her confidence!) then I think it would feel a bit better.
  • Hi Christopher,

We have ~350 staff and our HR department is made up of 2 FT Advisors (of which I am one) and a PT Head of HR.

My days are bonkers busy but that's how I like it.