Just for Fun: Music for an HR professional?

I'm looking for recommendations for an HR-themed playlist - ideally ones where the lyrics actually have relevance to our work.

So far, I have Human by Rag'n'Bone Man

...and that's it.

• For today, Brave by Sara Barreilles. And maybe Pay Your Way in Pain by St Vincent.

For general, Changes by Bowie, Right By Your Side by the Eurythmics, or Nice Work If You Can Get It by Ella Fitzgerald.

Loving our collective playlist - happy Friday!
  • In reply to Nina Waters:

Should I stay or should i go - Clash
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - Kelly Clarkson

And because this is my office trivia winner

Human Resource - Weird Brother

It has the chorus - Human Resource, been here before. Human resource, knocking on my door (it's on spotify - bit sort of 80's cure/goth vibe)
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

30 Jun, 2023 16:27

You'll always find me in the kitchen at parties - Jona Lewie
    It's my party and I'll cry if I want to - Lesley Gore
    Sign of the Times - Harry Styles
    I'm Still Standing - Elton John
  • Sugababes - Overload

NAO - Bad Blood

Keri Hilson - Gimme What I Want

Anne-Marie - Do It Right

Missy Elliott - Work It

BANKS - And I Drove You Crazy

Somme of these fit the bill, in title only, unless you’re having a really wild week!
  • Still Ill - The Smiths
  • Love this thread:

Wages Day - Deacon Blue
    labour of Love - Hue & Cry
    Working in a Coal Mine - Lee Dorsey
    Nightshift - The Commodores
    Part of the Union - The Strawbs

and if I'm allowed

Personnel Jesus - Depeche Mode ;))
  • Don't stand so close to me - The Police Lose yourself - Eminem Time Off for Bad Behavior - David Allan Coe
  • Just so you all know, I'm slowly working my way through all of your suggestions to try to organize them into a Top Ten (or Twenty, if I have time) HR tracks based on relevance and musical merit (not that there's a single suggestion here that isn't an absolute banger!).
  • In reply to Gemma:

I'm going to count out "I'm Not OK" and "Stressed Out" on the basis that these people clearly have issues in their private lives that are more impactful on their mental health than their workplace experience.

I'm going to count out "Manic Monday" because Susanna Hoffs clearly doesn't understand unlawful deductions from salary.
  • In reply to Teresa:

I'd love to include "Think", but I think that would be to undervalue this powerful anthem for racial equality. Aretha is clearly thinking strategically, but at a Board level rather than at a level relevant for the internal EDI team.

"Impossible" is in - and thank you for introducing this song to me!

"Cry For Help" is excluded on the basis that Rick is obviously taking unauthorised absence and shouldn't be encouraged.
  • In reply to Maya:

I'm going to allow "We Didn't Start The Fire", but I feel like we need a new version with the lyrics based on the contents of this forum. Perhaps a job for David Boyd?

"Holiday", after careful consideration, is out. "Just one day out of life" is a complete breach of the Working Time Regulations and I honestly pity anyone who works for Madonna if this is the standard of her terms and conditions.
  • In reply to Samantha:

"Creep" is out, because we don't tolerate that kind of behaviour in the workplace.
  • In reply to Maya:

Initially, I thought "9 to 5" was a bit too generic. But having listened to it again, (1) this is just the *best* "walking to the office from the car park" anthem, (2) a strict adherence to the 9 to 5 regime is a great start to ensuring a healthy work/life balance, (3) Dolly's right that they absolutely will never take away my dreams! I'm not crying! You're crying!
  • In reply to Maya:

Initially I thought to include "She Works Hard for the Money" in because I have to acknowledge that Rag'n'Bone Man's "Human" has one gender-exclusive line, and we need balance. Obviously the expectation that "she" has to look pretty is a bit dated, but given that "they really need her there" and "she'll never sell out", I think it's fair to say that she is a shining example of who we should be in the workplace.
  • In reply to Deborah:

"Help" is out, because the singer needs a referral to the EAP. This really isn't something HR can support them with.

"That's not me" is by The Beach Boys, but I won't exclude it on that basis. I'm excluding it on the basis that, while I'm glad to hear that the Beach Boys have made progress in their emotional life, packing up to "split for the city" is no basis for professional development.