Just for Fun: Music for an HR professional?

I'm looking for recommendations for an HR-themed playlist - ideally ones where the lyrics actually have relevance to our work.

So far, I have Human by Rag'n'Bone Man

...and that's it.

• In reply to Cass Clothier:

"I Don't Like Mondays" - None of us likes Mondays, Robert, but that's reason to just not come to work every week. Frankly, your pattern of absence is concerning and if you won't engage in a conversation about a 20% reduction in hours, we'll have no option but to move to dismissal.
  • In reply to Robey:

On the other hand, Robey, just not turning up for work on a Monday is less drastic than the action the girl the song is about took!
  • In reply to Cass Clothier:

"Workin' Day and Night" is out, as whilst we certainly understand Michael's issues with his line manager's unreasonable workload expectations, it's still not appropriate to refer to them as "sweetie" or "darling" and, frankly, their determination to see other candidates for the job should come as reassurance that they are taking his concerns about workload quite seriously. Grievance not upheld and an informal warning will be on its way shortly.

"People Hold On" is Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs in song form, so it's in.

"Human" by the Human League is out, because this kind of behaviour is why you were accused of sexual harassment in the first place, Phil, and now we're trying to get through mediation and, frankly, you're not making things any better for yourself.
  • I believe "Take this job and shove it" by Johnny Paycheck hits the brief quite well!
  • In reply to Robey:

Can I just say Robey bravo on the analysis of these songs, very good very good..... :D
  • Thank you Robey. Lifted my week from seeing the question and reading the answers. What a potential playlist! I've nothing to add beyond - kudos for some light relief and inspiration.
  • I've got a new one for the list, myself.

"Unstoppable" by Sia is another great "walk to the office" song to get you pumped up for the day. Despite how it's often used in media, this is a song about anxiety and the need to adopt a high performing persona just to get through the day. But unlike most such songs that are downbeat, this one is self-reflecting and uplifting and speaks perfectly to the work of the HR professional.

That's not very funny, but it's my truth and, I think, that of many of my colleagues.
  • Treat People With Kindness by Harry Styles

Maybe not a classic like some of the suggestions, but his popularity does seem to just grow and grow.
  • In reply to Robey:

Some other possible additions mate

Sign 'o' the Time(sheet) - Prince
    (Ap)praise You - Fatboy Slim
    S.O.S.(R) - Rihanna
    Just the Way You (H)R - Billy Joel
    Hell T.U.P.E (to Pay) - Boz Scaggs

Yes, it has been slow in the office lately
  • Johanna

| 0 Posts

CIPD Staff

5 Jul, 2023 10:23