How much 'power' do you have in your company as an HR professional?

Hi all I am interested in knowing how much power you have in your company as a HR professional. I report to the CEO and its a matrix structure with dotted lines to directors. At the moment I give my suggestions/advice to managers and leave it to the manager to take action. I wondered if there was anything more I could do as sometimes it's frustrating that some managers don't like to confront staff and brush matters under the carpet.

• Hi Meena

I would suggest telling your CEO what recommendations you are giving to managers (with rationale& benefit to business if acted upon) but explain your frustrations that the managers are not acting on it. If a manager is not managing performance properly (despite your advice/support), then your manager has become a performance issue themselves. They are not in the role to be nice or avoid confrontations, they are being paid to manage & are not doing this.

If you do this and your CEO isn't that fussed themselves, then there is a bigger issue with culture which you need to consider if it's the right environment for you - it can get very dispiriting if you suggest improvements that will help the business being disregarded.

Fortunately my CEO is very interested in whether our managers are managing which makes it easier from an HR perspective

Good luck

Joe
  • hi Joe. very helpful thank you. I started to doubt myself and your message has reassured me that it's the culture rather than me.
  • It will be the culture, sometimes you have to move on for your own sanity if your morals,values or whatever aren't aligned.