HR Manager being made redundant

hello

I've just found out the HR manager is being made redundant, along with 8 others across other departments. I've been in the company for 6 years but only in HR for less than 12 months. My previous experience is managing people and I'm fairly confident in my skills plus studying my level 5, but I suddenly feel a bit lonely! We're a manufacturing setting of about 90 so all sorts of interesting things come up and I don't always know the right answer! 

Looking to this community for a bit of support and encouragement I guess! thanks

• Hi Natalie - sadly it's a fact of life and although it seems hard at the moment in time hopefully you will come to see this as an opportunity. You have had the opportunity to work in HR for a little while so that's great as often getting the first experience is hardest. Use that to build your CV and to network as hared as possible

Make sure as well as supporting others you take time for yourself

This is hard but its also a new beginning
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

30 Jan, 2024 16:28

Hi  

Some excellent advice from Keith and you are welcome to visit (Y)our Community as often as you need to. I liked the way you engaged with those who provided advice when you started the FWR in response to change in shift patternthread last year. It will be challenging for sure but I'm sure you'll lean in to it. 

Very best with your Associate (Level 5) studies, too.

• I was in this position when I joined my current org as an advisor 4 years ago - Just before covid hit my manager left and she wasn't being replaced. I was still very new to HR and very inexperienced. I used it to gain experience and climb my way up. Am now the Head of People in the same organisation!! Use the opportunity to your advantage and gain what you can from it.
  • As others have already said, it's a daunting position to be in, but it can be an amazing opportunity for your development and future career!

I won't bore you with the details but just 2 or so months into my first ever HR role, my manager left and it was just me in HR of a charity with 60-70 staff. It was terrifying without a doubt, but the learning and the opportunities that came out of that period are not something I could have gotten any other way in such a short amount of time.

I don't want to speak for everyone, but I don't think anyone always knows the right answer. In fact, sometimes there is no "right" answer - there's just a decision to be made on what the most reasonable or appropriate answer for that specific situation could be. You wouldn't believe how often I turn to google, this forum, or a facebook HR group to broaden my knowledge or help make a decision. It can be a lonely experience being in a standalone HR role, but there's people all around you willing to help if you just reach out :)
  • In reply to Laura:

thank you, its nice to hear of other real life experiences! yes definitely a lot of resources out there and my HR manager said I can still ring her anytime as well. thanks for your nice words :)
  • In reply to Becci Lloyd:

thank you! I think the initial shock of it knocked the wind from my sails. nice to know I'm not the only one whose been left out on a limb! thanks