Reverse Mentoring

Hi Fellow HR people I’d like to know if anyone has any experience of reverse mentoring in their organisation? I work for a public sector organisation in healthcare with approx 300 people. We are planning on implementing a reverse mentoring scheme for the first time so any thoughts on considerations, expectations, design of such a programme would be gratefully received. Many thanks Tehmina
  • Hi Tehmina, first consideration is really what your looking to achieve with this scheme. That will help direct your objectives. Also how you refer to the scheme can make a difference. Senior managers can be quite closed minded sometimes and think 'what can I learn from someone more junior?', I think using the term reverse can play into that. Instead we are labelling ours Upwards Mentoring. In terms of design, training for both parties is crucial, as is having a trained (and preferably) experienced Mentoring Co-ordinator to manage the process and to manage any issues that arise (and they will arise!). Not all relationships will work out. Good luck.
  • I assume you've already done this, but have you discussed this with the staff concerned? Has everyone trained in mentoring?

And welcome to the community Tehmina