The art of letting people go. How do you do it?

Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

26 Oct, 2023 15:45

"It's a business constant", says Martha Lane Fox in her latest post here...

https://martha6j5h2.substack.com/p/its-the-worst-thing-you-probably

Martha outlines her four basic rules to avoid "the disaster of [her] first sacking".

Be quick, be clear, be creative and be kind.

How do you do it? 

Hopefully not like RE: P&O Ferries - wholesale 'fire and rehire' 

• I cannot improve on those 4 golden rules.
  • Just musing on the time I was made redundant, and how badly it was handled by my CEO (who really didn't have the people skills he thought he had). Though by all reasonable measures it did me a lot of favours, I still reflect on how hurt and angry I was about the way that it was managed.

As a piece of professional development, it gave me a much deeper understanding of how a person's self-identity as a professional at work can be damaged by treatment that underlines just how transactional your contribution was deemed to be.

I agree with each of those rules, but would add in the light of my experience - don't just barge an idea about making a person redundant into a conversation with them, without actually thinking it through first. :-)
  • Interesting convo and I'm not sure creative would be in there for me, unless Martha is getting at the need to be creative to avoid the thought of redundancy or in what the employee sitting in front of us can do instead.

I think the order is indicative too. Be kind is often now a trite phase when, if it's truly embedded, then it's much more than a slogan, it's about the whole approach, before, during and after. Be human seems to encapsulate things for me - ie avoid firing by text and email- and handle the emotions in front of you as well as those within you.

I agree it needs to be delivered quickly. Don't talk too much (as the person delivering the news).

Finally learn from the times you don't do this well. If you don't learn then :-(
  • In reply to Sharon:

A few random tips - not necessarily comprehensive but from past harrowing experiences:
    1. Don't allow managers loose on this alone unless they're fully briefed and competent.
    2. Ensure dignity and privacy - eg avoid the 'walk of shame' where it becomes obvious to colleagues what's going on and to whom.
    3.. Context is all, but usually notifying someone that they'll no longer have a job is cataclysmic to them, so stick to the basics / keep it simple / don't beat about the bush or ramble-on and leave the details to another time, as typically they'll be in deep shock and unable to think straight or take in any detail.
    4. Ensure appropriate and adequate support - both immediate and continuing such as appropriate counselling etc. Ideally adequate support will be both financial and non-monetary such as counselling etc. They need to be helped to find workable solutions to the problem.
    5. It can be traumatic for those doing the deed too - so take care of their mental health as well.
  • In reply to David:

Oh god yes, to number 1.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

2 Nov, 2023 10:06

In reply to David:

Great stuff,
  • Those look like good rules to me. My other bit of advice is have something in writing ready to give to the person after they've been informed. In the moment, a whole host of emotions and reactions will be going through their mind but they will have practical questions to ask one the initial shock has dissipated. It's helpful to try and anticipate as much as possible and follow up either via old fashioned printed letter or email.