L7 business research project ideas?

Hi 

I am struggling to find a topic for my L7 business research project.  The main problem is that I am a full time student, so although I can apply it to previous employers I don't have access to any data.  This makes it tricky.  I have thought about gaining simple data via the FOI or offering to do a free equal pay audit to organisations or there are several ex-colleagues that I could contact who might be willing to give me a download of data in a particular area in exchange for analysis and a report, but I am feeling a bit lost at the moment.

Is anyone is the same situation or has any advice?

Mel

• Mel

My advice would be to identify the topic and create the synopsis, and then contact as many companies as you are able (any, if your topic is generic but clearly specific industries if it applies to one sector) that are of an appropriate size - perhaps the HRD is the best first step, and explain your challenge of being a full-time student and therefore seeking their support - for which they will benefit.

Offer to complete the project gratis and then supply them with the output, again gratis.

You may have to approach 100 companies but you will get bites from some.
  • What is the advice from your tutor, you cannot be the first student to be in this situation.

The public sector publishes a huge amount of data. For example I recently found a data set of 20 years worth of absence rates for one company and after some simple analysis found out that all the projects to reduce absence had failed but the company thought the opposite and were very proud of their efforts.
  • In reply to Robert James Munro:

Thank you Robert. Maybe I have given up too easily. I have at least settled on a topic, now I just need to find an education provider who fancies a free assessment of their leaver data.
  • In reply to Steven :

Sadly, the tutors are uncontactable as the website was relaunched and the contact facility has been disabled for most of this month. Thank you for your encouragement. I will make more effort to see what I can find online.