7HRO1 - Employee Relations unit

Hi everyone.

I am struggling with the following question:  

Critically analyse how the changing nature of work is impacting or could impact employment relations in organisations, including at least two factors as a part of your analysis.

As part of my answer, I'm focussing on precarious work (zero hours contracts) due to the growing gig economy.  There's a lot of research showing people like zero hours work due to the flexibility but also a lot of conflicting research also showing this demographic is likely to be dissatisfied with this arrangement and would want more hours. 

I'm getting myself in a tizz trying to work out how to approach this question.  I'm wondering if I should approach the answer by saying there is credible but conflicting arguments to both viewpoints which makes this demographic unpredictable.  Is that an acceptable way to answer? 

Any help is gratefully received.  Thank you!

• You're Right. In UK Companies like Sports Direct have been accused of overusing zero-hours contracts. Workers under zero-hours contracts at Sports Direct complained of inordinate exploitation, job insecurity, irregular hours, and meagre benefits. The harm caused to an employee's livelihood and job satisfaction is quite obvious when, in some instances, employees speak of job insecurity and financial insecurity.

A such such, you can critically discuss zero hours contracts by considering its benefits and drawbacks.