CIPD Level 5 in People Management

Hello Everyone,

Hoping everyone has started the new year well.

Just a quick one - I have recently started the online course with E-Careers.  Just wondering what books are a must / helpful/ highly recommended (ideally not wanting to buy too many and pay out a lot either).  The provider indicates that books are not necessary (referencing other resources) but I'm not quite sure if referencing information will accepted without some academic book usage?

Any ideas / comments welcomed.

Thanks heaps - Melissa :-)

• Hi Melissa,
    Some of the important books for Level 5 include:
    1. HR management practice by Armstrong
    2. Human Resource Management HRM Zebra edition
    3. Studying Human Resource Management by Stephen Taylor and Carol Woodhams (Lizard edition)
    4. People Resourcing and Talent Planning HRM in Practice by Stephen Pilbeam and Marjorie Corbridge.
    (If you need these books get in touch).

You can reference a combination of Books, CIPD Factsheets, Reports, Podcasts and Guides, and credible sources.
  • Hi Melissa
    For HR in General I like Martin and Whiting, Human
    resource practice and Wilton, An Introduction to Human Resource Management.
    Each unit has a suggested reading list and online resource list your tutor should make available to you.
    Don't forget the CIPD has loads of refrencable resources from factsheets and reports to podcasts. Members also get free access to EBSCO for journal articles and more here www.cipd.co.uk/.../journals
    so don't go spending all your beer tokens on books!
    Good luck
  • In reply to Mike:

Thank Mike :-)
  • In reply to Jim:

Thanks so much Jim - I'll try and save on my wine tokens :-)
  • Hi Melissa, I went a bit crazy when I started my Level 5 and bought every suggested book going, inevitably most of them were a waste of money.
    I did however use the Armstrong book throughout my course and also found the Taylor and Woodhams lizard book very useful.

Most of my cohort favoured one of these two so if you’re in a study group it may be worth asking which books they are finding the most useful.

• You’ll get a discount on books through the cipd if you use kogan page

www.koganpage.com/.../cipd-members-bookstore

Another handy hint is using google scholar. You can get free abridged versions of books, not everything but it’s worth a look.
  • In reply to Graham:

That's really helpful - thank you so much Graham
  • I use the Armstrong textbook and think it covers lots of topics. Like Mike said you can reference websites and articles. I like the textbooks to help with explaining things / going into more details on topics, less so referencing.
  • Also, see if your business will pay for the books / contribute to the cost.
  • In reply to Danielle:

Thank you Danielle
  • In reply to Mike:

Hi Mike, I'm just starting my L5 with ICS. Would you be able to let me know where and how much are these books? I'm stressing myself a bit of trying to find more reading materials before I even start the reading material included from our study platform. Just thought that would be easier for me to crack on with my studies once I'm sure I can get hold of the other resources I might need.
  • In reply to Maricris:

Hi, you can purchase the books from Perlego at a discounted price. miktutor0@gmail.com get in touch for further help.