CIPD level 5 5LD01 (unit 4) task 2 stuck

I think i did ok with the first task for the unit but i am really stuck on task 2 i dont understand the question and I have tried to look at it from a billion angles. can anyone help me understand what the principles underpinning curation are. I feel very stupid and its getting frustrating. I loved the unit guides i had from ICS for the first 3 units they were helpful in guiding you on what you needed to focus on. I think they got tired of doing them and gave up for unit 4 5 and 6 so now Im just wondering around in the dark. 

Please can someone shine a light I keep bashing my head against the wall and getting nowhere!

• I didn't study under ICS so I'm afraid I can't speak to the resources available to you, I found the www.cipd.org/.../ very helpful and I used the links to Jarche's Seek Sense and Share within, also used Gutierrez (2017) "Why You Should Use Content Curation In Your L&D Strategy? (And How to Do It)" and Jane Hart's Modern Workplace learning. I've just read back over my answer and to be honest it's so dry and tedious, but I managed to pass. I think even with the benefit of a few more months under my belt, I'd have crafted a "nicer" answer that didn't suggest I sleep deprivation and panic.
    I recently signed up for a subscription to MindTools because I found that they provided loads of useful blogs and thought pieces that allowed me to gather my own thoughts and understand how bits fitted together.
    mindtoolsbusiness.com/.../conquering-curation-in-ld
    Hopefully you've got some nice weather where you are and some sunshine will help everything you know click into place. I find I spend four or five times as much time getting the information aligned in my own head as I do actually writing up. It's just waiting for the click is the killer.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

31 May, 2023 15:57

In reply to Sandra:

Thanks, Sandra.
  • I'm with ICS and having the same issue for 5LD01. I can't get my head around the task. I've gotten nowhere with the tutor who has simply replied to my query with a cut-and-paste of the assessment criteria.

There are a couple of terms from the wording of AC 3.1 which particularly confuse me:

1. "principles" underpinning curation for self-directed and social learning, and
    2. learners curating resources as part of a "wider L&D program".

I've looked at it so many angles. Like the rest of the contributors, the light-bulb just won't click.

Firstly, "principle": I believe that by principle they are asking not for a 'fundamental truth or rule'. Instead they're using the word as a synonym for 'model' or 'theory'.

Is my thinking correct?

Secondly, "wider L&D program": I thought "wider L&D program" might mean guidance on curating resources for a initiative (e.g., a learner curating a content stream for their own PDP/learning path). However, it also occurred to me that maybe "wider program" means an L&D system or approach for curated resources (learner and L&D) involving selecting data, keeping it organized and easy to find, ensuring that it is current and that it is archived for later use, or eliminated when nobody longer accesses it, etc.

Is my thinking on the right track here?

Thanks
  • In reply to Raymond:

Hi Raymond,
    This is the question that I have for AC3.1 – 5LD01:

Provide written guidance which encourages and supports learners to curate resources for other people in their learning group. Your guidance should include:
    1. an evaluation of 2 principles underpinning the curation of resources for self-directed and social learning (either as a stand-alone resource or as part of a wider L&D programme).

I used Jarche's "Seek, Sense, Share" principle and also the DCC (Digital Curation Cycle) is a digital system used to preserve curated content in the long term. I found the DCC tricky to get my head around but found some good articles online, which I am not sure if I could add them here, so didn’t. I passed the module and the feedback was fine.

Hope that helps.

Sheila
  • In reply to Sheila :

Hi Sheila,

Your advice is brilliant.

The long-term comment helped me suddenly see the difference between what they mean by a "principle" to guide stand-alone curation and the wider L&D program (which is long-term "cycle" of finding preserving, reviewing, updating, etc.).

A huge thanks!

Ray
  • In reply to Raymond:

Im struggling also with the referencing side. I know the answers but trying to find things to show they back up what im saying is very tough! Any anyone help. I started this over a year ago only got to my 2nd assignment as this is putting me off now ive not long to do it.
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

17 Jan, 2024 14:11

In reply to Hollie:

Hi Hollie... and welcome!

On the referencing side, do have a look at these recent threads...

Referencing Help! 

Harvard referencing in assignments 

• Hi all! I am working on 5LD01 now and I used Jarche and DCC just as Sheila did.

I have another question; will the word count of AC 3.1 and 3.3 total to 900 words (leaving the other 900  for AC 3.2 with the content selection explanations)? Or 900 for AC 3.1 and 900 for AC 3.3?

I am truly confused and stuck...

• In reply to Ebru:

Hi Ebru,

Re: 5LD01 - word count.

Do you mean the word count for 'Task 2 Curation of Learning Resources'. What I find really helpful with the word count is reading through the LAB as that explains the word count including the CIPD word count policy.

Regards,
    Sheila
  • In reply to Sheila :

Hi Sheila,

What do you mean when you say "the LAB"?

Thanks,
    Ray
  • In reply to Ebru:

Hi Ebru,
    I've just looked at the CIPD Learner Assessment Brief. Page 5 says:

Your evidence must consist of:
    Instruction 1 — Written response, approximately 900 words.
    Instruction 2 — Representation Of your curated resources, such as a front page, screen
    shot, image, photo (provided as an appendix, not included in word count).
    Instruction 3 — Written response, approximately 900 words.
    Total word count for this task — approximately 1 ,800 words, refer to CIPD word count
    policy.

Hope this helps.
    Ray
  • In reply to Raymond:

Hi Ray,

LAB is the Learner Assessment Brief, where I submit my answers to the questions and where the tutor marks it. It has clear explanations about word count.

Sheila
  • In reply to Ebru:

Hi Ebru,

I spoke with a colleague about this to clarify.

AC3.1 and AC3.3 are both part of question 1, so it looks like 900 words in total to do all of this:

Provide written guidance which encourages and supports learners to curate resources for other people in their learning group.

Your guidance should include:
    o an evaluation of 2 principles underpinning the curation of resources for self-directed and social learning either as a stand-alone resource or as part of a wider L&D programme). (AC 3.1)

o a rationale for how curation of resources, by learners for other learners, can enhance learning (AC 3.3) and
    o at least 2 guidelines to be followed when curating. (AC 3.3)

Then you have 900 words for AC3.2. You must (With reference to your curated resources) highlight how your selection:

• supports learning in relation to your chosen topic.
    • provides an effective combination of media and styles.
    • is easily accessible to all the relevant learner audience. (AC 3.2)

Hope this helps.

Ray
  • Thank you so much Raymond and Sheila! Raymond, this is what I did at the end (AC 1.1+ AC 1.3 900 words, AC 1.2 900 words) as it made more sense. Unit Guide got me a bit confused about the meaning of "Task". Now I am waiting to hear from the tutor and working on 5LD02...
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

1 Feb, 2024 15:04

In reply to Raymond:

That's great support, Raymond. Thank you.