5LD01 - task 1, question 2.3 - please help

Hi All,

I'm struggling with 5LD01 - task 1, question 2.3 asking to critically assess theories of learner differences in relation to ways of accessing and undertaking self-directed and social learning. 

I'm finding it difficult to organise the answer to this question. I assume I can assess major theories, providing strengths and weaknesses of the traditional theories of VAK, Honey and Mumford and Kolb and provide Coffield's critique, but how do I link these to generational differences? I have chosen baby boomers and Gen Z. 

Can someone please help?

Thanks a lot

Agnes

• Hello Agnes, To critically assess theories of learner differences about ways of accessing and undertaking self-directed and social learning, and linking it to generational differences between baby boomers and Gen Z, you could structure your answer as follows: 1. Introduction - In a couple of sentences, highlight the significance of learner variability in supporting successful individual and social learning. - Inform that you will be evaluating the old theories (VAK, Honey and Mumford, Kolb) and criticism of Coffield and after that correlate them to the gap between baby boomers and Gen Z. 2. Traditional theories overview - VAK (Visual, Auditory, Kinesthetic) Learning Styles - Tell about the theory and its weaknesses/strengths. - Honey and Mumford's Style of Learning - Describe the theory and tell about its advantages/disadvantages - Kolb’s Experiential Learning Theory. - Introduce the theory and highlight its pros/cons 3. Coffield's Critique - Address Coffield's objection to the theory of traditional learning styles in terms of their drawbacks and scientific proof. 4. Generational Differences: Baby Boomers and Gen Z - Explain the nature and learning idiosyncrasies of baby boomers - Mention whether classical theories match or downplay their desire for self-directed and social learning. - Describe Gen Z characteristics and learning patterns. - Explain how this or that traditional theories match or do not match with their desire for both self-directed and social learning. - Elevate the disparity between the two generations and the effect it may have on the universality of the theories used. 5. Conclusion - Explain your assessment of the theories along with their impact on self-directed and social learning of people of different generations. - Stress the necessity of taking in mind the different learners' and generations' characteristics in the development of successful learning encounters. When giving your answer, illustrate with examples, research data, or your point of view to support your stance. Furthermore, deliberate on the linking of your assessment with teaching and training procedures. This framework should help you structure all your arguments logically and coherently while critically analyzing the theories of intergenerational differences between baby boomers and Gen Z. Best wishes, Hitesh