Level 5 Associate Diploma in People Management with ICS Learn

Hello all. I'm taking up the Level 5 Associate Diploma in People Management with ICS Learn. I have managed to go through and complete the Induction Program a month ago, however just only started the first unit (Organisational Performance and Culture in Practice) today due to my tight work schedule the past few weeks.

This is my first time taking up a self-paced online class. I'm having trouble concentrating and honestly, a bit confused to where to start my learning. I have followed the suggested study technique of ICS Learn (plan->learn->assess) but I find it more confusing with how much links given mostly just discussing about how to prepare for the assessment, structure and format for the assessment, etc. Making me focused only on answering the assessment criteria and not sure if I'm supposed to answer some parts on the learning materials within the unit.

Is anyone here taking up the Level 5 from same course provider? I just wanted to ask for some tips or advice for an effective study technique around the study platform.

Appreciate any reply. Slight smile

• Hi Maricris, have you tried contacting ICS Learn to ask for their advice and perhaps introduce you to a few students doing the same course? Working while studying is hard work and can be lonely if you're learning online. Best of luck!
  • In reply to Hayfa:

Hi Maricris,
    I have been studying with ICS learn for 16 months. I have to say I haven't been impressed with the support, I reached out to the tutors numerous times. I really struggled through the whole course and stopped so many times thinking I couldn't do it, probably if it wasn't for the fact my employers paid for it, I would have have packed it in.
    However, what I will say is as the time has gone on, although harsh at times, the markers seem to have upped their game a little and are giving less generic feedback.

Things I wish I had known at the start,
    1) Don't be too hard on yourself, it is not an easy course, along with working full time, kids, life in general it can take over and consume you, have breaks between assignments rather than trying to thrash it out.
    2) Start from the beginning, once you have done 3 x A.C's submit a draft to see if you are on the right track.
    3) Be careful referencing some of the resources ICS suggest, there is a lot that is out of date, markers don't tend to like anything that is over 3 years old.
    4) Avoid using bullet points and graphs unless told to do so, I found this feedback inconsistent, some didn't mind but others reacted like it was illegal lol.
    5) Word count was my biggest problem, especially 5HR01, It has a ridiculously low word count, I ended up having to do a resit, its impossible to elaborate answers with such low count. Break each A.C down on each assignment and split the word count with the added 10% (you will need it)
    6) Purchase Armstrong's handbook of Human Resource Management, wish I had got it at the start.
    I really hope this helps, and good luck :-)
  • In reply to Nina:

Hi Nina, thank you for the tips. It is very hard to self-paced course with other stuff going on at work and personal life. I really appreciate telling me your experience. You are nearly at the end of your study I presume, hope it goes all OK. :)
  • I did my Level 5 in HRM with ICS before the qualifications changed. I am in the same boat as Nina. I really struggled as the support offered was not very benefitial. I'm surprised they're still a CIPD centre of choice.

I did join a couple of facebook study groups and spoke to some of the students on the ICS forums which was really helpful.

I'm sure you've heard it already but the online "class" videos are somewhat helpful to give you an idea of how to structure your submissions.

"Purchase Armstrong's handbook of Human Resource Management" - This! I bought this at the start and found it invaluable for references and definitions. I still have a copy in my office that I flick through from time to time.