Level 5 or 7?

Hello all,

I'm in a very unique position in that I have won the opportunity to do my next CIPD course free of charge!

I did my Level 3 back in 2021 just before it had changed and I regretted not doing a Level 5 at the time. I have worked at management level for the last 4 years and have been a stand alone HR Manager since the beginning of 2021 (which is why I did the Level 3 at the time because it was so new to me). Due to being a stand alone with no external HR help, I really have been involved in so many facets of the business advising on and making strategic decisions so I am really stuck on which level to study next. I have dealt with redundancies, contract addendums, performance management etc etc etc.

Obviously this is a great opportunity for my future career progression. I'm worried if I choose Level 5 I will regret not doing Level 7 but similarly I am worried that if I do Level 7 it's going to be too high of a jump. Academically I am educated to degree level so not sure if this is helpful in decision making.

Can anyone who has experience of both or at least can advise on what I should be doing in my day to day job to make the decision?

Would appreciate any advice people have.

Thanks

Rhianna

• IMHo you should be doing level 7.
    I have said here before that I see little point in level 5. I think I would only recommend it as a staging post for the inconfident/junior/ not degree level and I have know many non-degree level students who have done well straight in at level 7.
  • In reply to Peter Stanway:

Thank you Peter, really appreciate your advice on this.
  • Good luck with whatever choice you make Rhianna. Level 7 is a big jump but the benefits far outweigh everything else. You will delve so much deeper, I think, and challenge yourself in ways you didn't think possible. It will also help develop your knowledge and skill set in a far broader sense. If you are still undecided go back to an old fashioned pros and cons to help you. More importantly find the right provider - I was lucky in having Blue Sky in Norwich - and ask the questions about how they will support you. I did find face to face far more rewarding and being able to connect on a more personal level. Your fellow students will also provide you with a like-minded network and then, in turn, you develop a better organisation understanding beyond your own.
  • In reply to Sarah Trueman:

Hi Sarah, thank you so much for your advice! I do think that I'm leaning towards doing the Level 7 and what you've mentioned about developing knowledge and understanding organisations better, I think will be really invaluable.
  • I think you'd be okay going straight for L7 if you're educated to degree level.

I finished L5 earlier in the year and it was a lot for me to get my head around at first, having never done a degree and completing my A Levels approximately 500 years ago. The Harvard Referencing style, sticking to a word limit and all that sort of stuff. Once I figured that out, it was plain sailing and I don't feel like I learned a single thing about HR that I didn't already know! For me it was a good foundation literally to wrap my brain around how to write academically, but from an HR point of view it didn't teach me anything really (some theories and things I guess).

I'd say go for L7 because you're probably familiar with all those bits already.
  • In reply to Rosie :

Hi Rosie, thanks for coming back to me on this!

I have officially taken the L7 plunge and it feels terrifying to actually type that out!
  • you should choose L7 as this will be best match the exposure within your job role
  • In reply to Rhianna:

How's it going so far? I'm thinking I need to get on it now, but I'm feeling a little nervous to commit! I hope the course it treating you well :)
  • In reply to Rosie :

Hi Rosie, I haven't actually started yet! Annoyingly the modules I wanted to do first were full so I start in December but very nervous/excited to begin, thank you for asking :) I know the feeling, hopefully the first module will just be like ripping off the plaster!
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

28 Sep, 2023 06:36

In reply to Rhianna:

... good luck to the journey ahead! 

• In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thank you Steve!
  • In reply to Rhianna:

Ohh good luck!
  • In reply to Steve Bridger:

Thank you :)