Level 5 or 7 as a non native speaker

Hi everyone,

I am a Junior HR Generalist from Germany, looking to move to the UK for work in the foreseeable future and therefor want to get my CIPD certificate. 

Like many people in this forum, I am torn between starting with Level 5 or Level 7 in People Management. I have 3 concerns.

1. I just left uni, so I only recently started working in an HR entry role. I already know I want to work as an HRBP after 2-3 years, as I prefer working strategically rather than generally and also think such a role would align with my strengths more. So level 7 would be a good foundation for my career goals, but I still lack experience.

2. I do have a Master's degree, so I do know how to study and write academically which is helpful for level 7. However, my master's was in diversity management, so not business related.

3. And, obviously, English is not my first language and all my studies have been in German so far. I speak English fluently, I read and write in English, but I have no experience on writing academically in English. Maybe somebody who is not a native speaker either could chime in here?

I appreciate your input and thank you in advance for your help! 

• Hello. As you have just started your career, I would recommend to start with Level 3 certification. I dont know if you know already, but studying for this certificate while working is very demanding. If you choose level 7 at this stage, it means either that CIPD does a bad job describing the levels or that you have extremely high expectations... I dont believe that English not being your native language will be an impediment - i also dont have English as my mother tongue, but if you have a very good command of the language (as you say in your post), you will manage just fine. If, throughout your career, realise that you should advance in your certification level, I believe you can easily just add modules to your Level 3, in order to get to Level 5 (and the same for Level 7).
    Good luck with your studies!
  • In reply to Ana-Maria:

Hi, I can't comment on the study side of things but unless you already have Settled Status in the UK or have studied in the UK and already applied for a Graduate Visa, you will need to be sponsored as a Skilled Worker for any HR jobs you apply for. This is the Occupational Code that could be used by a sponsoring organisation :

Tasks required by this job include:

• undertakes research into pay differentials, productivity and efficiency bonuses and other payments;
    • develops and recommends personnel and industrial relations policies, assists with their implementation and drafts staff handbooks;
    • assists with negotiations between management and employees or trades unions concerning pay and conditions of employment;
    • interviews candidates for jobs;
    • advises on training and recruitment, negotiating procedures, salary agreements and other personnel and industrial relations issues;
    • deals with grievance and disciplinary procedures, and with staff welfare and counselling provision.

The minimum salary for this code is £26,200.

• I would highly recommend trying doing lots of practical CPD, perhaps some shorter courses or free courses and really get into the nuts and bolts of practical HR in England, hopefully by landing a job, engaging in forums like this and also joining great groups on Linked In and other platforms to chat HR first. I think further study really benefits from real experience in the context you want to be in. I know you probably want to get cracking and, if you can't be persuaded to pause, then I would say go in at the level you believe is best for you. I personally really benefitted from the pragmatic hands on experience first before I did my CIPD course. Good luck whatever you choose to do.
  • As ever I would go for level 7.My only hesitation is not so much your language skills as cultural understanding. Having said that when I did my masters the best students were German.
  • Welcome to the Community.