Recruitment Manager Mentality

Hi All,

This is my first post and I wanted to provide some context before asking my question.

A couple of months ago I started a new position as an HR & Recruitment Advisor in an SME (just under 200 employees) along with a Recruitment Manager. Having a recruitment team was new to the organisation and due to some difficulties on his part, the Recruitment Manager left the position.

At present, I've taken over his responsibilities. I'm loving the opportunity to tackle some juicy recruitment projects but I want to make sure my thinking is in line with the responsibilities. I came from a large NHS Trust which had heavily standardised procedures, so I enjoy being able to use my brain more, but I'm aware that it requires (to a degree) a different mindset.

Does anyone have any advice, guidance or resources that would help to get me thinking like an HR/ Recruitment Manager?

• Hi Jermaine

Going from the NHS to an SME sounds like an amazing opportunity for learning.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by your title to this thread. I think recruitment in an agency is most definitely a different mindset to in-house recruitment within or alongside an HR team, but I'm not sure that there is a recognisable recruitment manager mentality in-house that is distinct from an HR generalist mentality.

Could you tell us a bit more about what you are trying to get at?
  • Hi Jermaine

Congratulations on the new role. Like Elizabeth, I would like to know a bit more about what you information you are looking for?

I work in an SME and manage the recruitment processes, which vary from role to role. You can use recruitment agencies, job boards, create your own assessment centres, competency based interviews...the list is endless. The CIPD Factsheets cover the basics: www.cipd.co.uk/.../factsheet

Happy to discuss certain aspects in more detail?
  • In reply to Elizabeth Divver:

Hi Elizabeth/ Grace,

Thanks for getting back to me. I suppose I didn't make it clear enough what I'd like guidance with. Maybe by listing some of the activities I've adopted, you could point me in the right direction:
    - Developing a recruitment policy
    - Refining an assessment centre procedure
    - Finding a suitable ATS
    - Putting a business case together to introduce video interviewing

These are all tasks that I haven't performed before, so I would appreciate any pointers I should be looking out for when handling them.

• In reply to Jermaine:

I know you will find at least one thread on here about choosing an ATS as I started it, so I'd suggest a search of the discussion forums would be useful for you on that point. I'd also search the forums for anything on recruitment policy and look at the Knowledge Hub on the main CIPD site. I can't remember seeing anything on assessment centres, but that may simply be because they are not something I'm involved in these days so I wouldn't read a factsheet or thread about them.

I suggest you see what information you can turn up and then start another thread, but this time I'd try starting a separate post on each of your areas of interest. I think you might get more of a response to e.g. one post on assessment centres and another on recruitment policy than including them all in one.