What Level of Role Should I be Entering the HR World At?

Hi Everyone,

I am currently employed in the Army and have been within the Administrator roles of various guises for the last 16 years. I would see us as more Administrators Plus that full on HR but I am sitting at Middle Management level.

I completed my CIPD Associate Level 5 distance learning and to be fair I would not have done it this way if I knew how bad the company in questions was.  I have just spent some time with the Ministry of Defence HR staff which was excellent for an overview of how civilian HR really works. I also spent 3 weeks with another company in the Industry Sector but did not enjoy that as much.

I am really keen to use my qualifications when seeking employment after leaving the Service in July 2016 however I am a little confused about where I should be pitching my CV's and experience.  My current qualification says I am an HR Manager. but a number of job advert place that in the Business Partner level which I know I am not qualified to go directly into.

Any advice would be really helpful because I am hoping to apply for roles but am confused where I sit in the HR world.

Thanks ever so much.

• Think it really depends which sector you would like to work in. Probably best to apply for a few roles at different levels and see what type of response you receive. In the Public Sector it is difficult to commence in a high level role without previous experience. The NHS particularly is keen for candidates to have worked in the service previously before considering senior roles.

I hope this helps
  • Hi Donna

there's been a few threads recently from people in the armed forces looking to move into civilian roles - if you do a search you should find them but here's one to get you started
    www2.cipd.co.uk/.../285406
  • Steve Bridger

| 0 Posts

Community Manager

12 Jun, 2017 09:54

In reply to Emma:

Thanks, Emma :)
  • In reply to Karen:

Karen,
    Thank you for the information. That was useful because I was toying with applying for a role in NHS in Hereford so I may stay clear of that for a little while. I have seen a few other jobs so I may see if I can call the recruiters to see if I am able to apply rather thanjust having a stab at it. That way I can get my message across before I apply. Thank again. Donna