Studying Human Resources masters

Hi guys, I really need your advice in this.

I have recently graduated BSc 2:1 in non-HR relevant course.

I  accepted an offer to study masters in Human Resources as I thought to work in that field after graduation or to be a manager I like both.

Problem is they offering CMI level 7 after graduation and they don't have CIPD accreditation.

Is it worth to study one year and maybe be a manager in the future as for HR this will not be enough?

Looking forward to hear your opinion.

Thanks.

• HR is very hard to get into. Generally people find experience backed up by qualifications the best route. There are a number of threads (if you use the search) of people with high level qualifications and no experience struggling to get their first step into HR - a few manage it but many find it a very slow and frustrating process. So by all means study for your Masters but don't expect it to open as many doors as you think it might and expect to have to start pretty far down the food chain.

What I would say however is that in the current climate and given the likely recession then studying a Masters is probably a better use of a year (if you can afford it) than being unemployed for a year or doing a totally unrelated job. Previous evidence shows that people who graduate during a recession have a long term career impact.

Good luck
  • Hi Artus,

I'm not sure if this will help you at all but I just thought I'd share my experience which pretty much mirrors what Keith says.

I graduated with a BA Hons in Criminology and Psychology then completed a MAHRM with CIPD Level 7 straight after. I had some management experience but really struggled to get a job without sole HR experience. I was lucky enough (eventually) to get a HR Admin job in a company that wanted to train and develop someone; 2 years later I'm now a HR Advisor but it hasn't been easy. I would say that if you do decide to do the Masters, it won't necessarily open any doors and you will probably have to start at the bottom but once you have your foot in it'll be worth it in the long run. And if you can get the CIPD accreditation you might as well.

Good luck!
  • In reply to Olivia:

I have little bit similar degree to yours as I have done BSc Policing which involved management stuff too.

Unfortunately this masters gives only cmi level 7 which is senior management and director leadership and management certificate but not cipd unfortunately but thanks for advice both of you I think i will try and see..
  • Hello,

I echo the below comments also in that experience is backed up with qualifications.
    I got my degree in Psychology and was looking to do a masters. Alternatively I took a step back and applied for a HR Admin job to learn the ropes and basics of HR. I have since completed my level 3, level 5 and looking towards my level 7 as this will be my 3rd year working in HR.
    I think learning the basics and being within a HR environment is the key to getting that experience rather than just having the qualifications. However I agree with Keith that studying will be a better use of a year than being unemployed :)
    Best of luck with your journey!