Should I study level5 without HR experience?

Hello

I have worked in Recruitment for over 10 years and I am thinking about trying to transition into HR.

I have quite broad recruitment experience that has touched upon; full-cycle, benefits, rewards, performance, management etc - but I have never worked in a specific HR role. 

I studied for a degree in an unrelated field (although feels like many moons ago now).

I've looked into the distance learning providers and I feel like level 3 might not be enough of a stretch and quite honestly, I don't want to pay for level 3,5 and 7.

Does anyone have any advice here, am I being totally ridiculous signing up to level 5 when I don't work directly in HR?

Thanks so much for any help/advice.

• Hi Hollie. I've got my level 2 and 3 and currently doing level 5 and also already paid for level 7. I tried jumping from 3 to 7 and had to go back to 5 and I've got a first class bachelors degree in Law and still struggled a bit. My advice start at the bottom especially as it's a new field for you. Happy to help if you need any drop me an email. lee.mcnae@sky.com
  • Hi Holly

You're not ridiculous to skip to Level 5 - this isn't a clear cut decision.

A couple of things I would recommend considering are -

1. The level you've been working at and what you think your entry point into HR will be. If you have some managerial experience and think you will be qualified (when you have the CIPD) to skip a more junior role in HR - then you might also skip level 3 and go straight into level 5. If however you're looking at HR Assistant role then level 3 will give you the practical skills you need succeed.

2. The time, head space and academic confidence you have. If you're either a little nervous or you have a lot of other things going on it might be better not too add as much pressure and start with level 3. Also, if you haven't studied in a while it does take some time to get back into the flow of it. On the other hand if you're fairly academically confident you might want to challenge yourself.

3. You might not have to pay for all the levels yourself. Once you're working in HR there is a good chance that you will get funding from your employer to study.

4. Find a provider who will give you a free taster so you can get a feel for what the levels really mean - https://acacialearning.co.uk/free-cipd-taster-session/

I hope that helps and good luck with your HR journey! 

Rachel

• In reply to Lee:

Thank you Lee, this is helpful. I might drop you a quick email, it would be great to get your thoughts.
  • I agree with everything Rachel has covered above and have nothing further to add. But I wanted to let you know it can be done. My colleague has similar experience to yourself and is studying level 5. I am supporting with any questions she has and giving her some insight to my role. Academically I didn't find much difference in the structure and requirements of writing assignments from level 3 to 5, purely the length and depth of topics. Good luck.
  • In reply to Rachel:

Thank you Rachel - really helpful.
  • In reply to Gemma:

That's great, thank you Gemma.
  • Hi Hollie,
    I personally skipped Level 3 and went straight to Level 5. I was working in retail management so not directly in HR but I had exposure to certain parts of it such as recruitment, performance management etc. I also had not completed a degree so it was my first time in Higher Education and I completed it all via distance learning so there's nothing to say it can't be done!
    I started my first job in HR part way through the qualification as a HR Assistant and was promoted internally to HR Advisor a few months later.
    There's different routes for all people so I think it's down to personal choice and circumstances.
    Hope that helps to give a slightly different perspective from your other responses :)