Reconsidering if I can complete a CIPD Qualification

Hi All,

I hope you and your loved ones are safe and well. I am currently on furlough and had started an online Level 5 Diploma. I moved to London in 2017 and have 3 years of HR Assistant and Coordinator work experience (I have a bachelors, masters and prior work experience from back home). I initially chose to the Level 5 as I believed it was what is needed to attain good career prospects. But after some reflection, I know that I like HR Operations & Service Delivery and work well in a shared services model. My aspirations are to grow in the above filed perhaps becoming a Team Lead. So I know a Level 3 is better suited for me. But, I am struggling with getting down to writing the assessment . The academic level required overwhelms me and I feel that that it is beyond my capability. I tried to go back to why I want to do a CIPD - so that I can have opportunities to get selected for jobs. My question is - Do I need to do a CIPD for entry level HR Operational roles?

• Hi

I am surprised that with both a first degree and a Masters that the academic requirements of level 5 are overwhelming you. Level 5 is of course a qualification lower than you have already. So I wonder if it’s really the course that is the problem or if it’s more motivation and engagement with it given your current furloughed status? It is probably worth discussing both things with your tutor and exploring both the academic challenges but Also your engagement and motivation at the moment.

To your question. You have achieved three years experience without the CIPD qualification so yes it is possible to get into HR and process without it. But it’s almost certainly easier to progress with both experience AND qualifications. Longer term if you are ambitious you may need them ( and it might depend on what your masters is in). So i woukdnt walk away just yet but see if you can over come the current challenges.

Good luck.
  • In reply to Keith:

Hi Keith. Thank you for responding - I genuinely appreciate it. It's a mixture of motivation, engagement and apprehension of the academic level requirements - it is certainly different from back home. I do have a call scheduled with my tutor and will consider all factors. Thank you again for taking the time to give me some much needed advice.
  • In reply to Alysia:

Hi Alysia,

I have just started my Level 5 in HRM after 5 years out and I think the part I find the hardest when starting a qualification is that feedback from your first assignment. I am feeling nervous as I haven't received that yet, but i guarantee the first feedback, will increase belief and confidence. I have experience working at an admin level in HR, but work as a Business Advisor, so some of the qualification is totally new to me, stick with it! You can do it!

I know this isn't feedback but think sometimes you just need someone to give you that pat on the back!
  • In reply to Adam:

Hi Adam. Kudos to you for taking the plunge. Thank you for the encouragement. I am able to sit down and go through the e-lessons and content. What I find the hardest is writing the assignment - I am struggling with how to treat it more than just a copy-paste exercise. The network of individuals I have found has been amazing. I hope my tutor will provide some guidance today.
  • In reply to Alysia:

I found that but I am doing mine through DPG and they provide templates and then instructional videos that break down how to do the assignments. Might be worth looking on YouTube to see if anyone has done a similar type video.
  • In reply to Adam:

Oh, I am doing mine through DPG as well. Yes, the instructional videos are good. Are you on the DPG community and can we connect there perhaps?
  • In reply to Alysia:

Yes I am Adam Clements. The videos are good I just think it depends on how you interpret the videos and the objectives of the assignments.
  • Hi Alysia

We have already spoken via messages regarding the DPG course tou have just started but I would like to add my own thoughts (for what it is worth) here...

I am an older student and haven't studied since the 1980s. I also never went to university.

At the end of September 2018, I started my ILM Level 3 Diploma in Leadership and Management 100% online and completed in 4 months. I then looked at doing my CIPD. I did think about the Level 3 but already having completed my ILM Level 3, I thought it would be pretty pointless so I took the plunge and started the Level 5 Diploma in April 2019.

I cannot stress to you enough how unsure I was of myself and my own capabilities for studying at this undergraduate level but self-funding and passion for HR was enough to motivate me.

I completed my final assignment on 8 February, along with my reflective blog, and submitted both for marking by the assessor. I am NOT academic and had NO experience of this level of study but I was extremely proud of myself to have completed the Diploma course in 10 months and this included a 4 1/2 month break from studying for me for various personal reasons.

What I am trying to say is that you know you can do this, you may just have lost a bit of confidence in the past years but as soon as you start to complete your first assignment, I am sure you will smash it.

Feel free to message me again should you have any questions.

Lisa
  • In reply to Lisa:

Thank You Lisa. You have been immensely supportive - I am glad to have you as part of my network.
  • In reply to Alysia:

Hi Alysia

You are more than welcome. Keep in touch and let me know what you decide going forward.

Lisa
  • Hi Alysia,

My advice to you would be to stick with it, reinforce to yourself why you are embarking on this journey. I am currently studying level 5 - I am a mature student and I have never studied at third level education before. During my first assignment I thought of giving up many times, I had to google how to research, how to write references, how to structure assignments and generally how to study. I work over 50 hours a week and study on my days off and holiday time. I too felt it was too academic and wondered if I had bitten off more than I could chew, but I have successfully passed 5 modules with only 3 to go. Do not worry about the style of academic writing, the markers will want to see if you understand the content, theories and policies and if you can underpin with practical examples. The assignments must be in your own words, so my advice is map out everything in your head, notes in your first draft, then edit, refine, mop up in the subsequent drafts. Once the first draft is on paper you will have a base and the first hurdle is accomplished. You can do this.