Transitioning from Military HR to Civilian - which course should I complete??

Good Morning,

I am close to the end of my military career and I have been an administrator for the duration of my 22 year career, although for a spell we were know as HR Administrators my understanding is that HR in the real world is very different.  I am looking at completing the CIPD Level 5 HR Management qualification but am unsure of what the best course for me will be.  I have looked at a number of options and I think my preffered option is a part time taught course which conisists of 8 x 2 day workshops over a 14 month period (with Chysos). However, my dilema is that I will have left the army (only by a month or so) before I qualify using this option (I can't start the course until Jan as I am currently overseas).  How difficult (clearly this is dependent on how quickly I absorb the information) would it be for me to complete the qualification through ICS and doing it online? 

All advice would be greatly appreciated as this is a huge step for the next chapter of my life.

Thanks

Steve  

• Hi Steve, you may find some volunteering in addition to the L5 may be useful, especially if you want to have something strategic experience oversight on your CV. I found this on people management jobs online in the volunteering section, Obviously, you not leaving the mob till the new year but I'm sure this wouldn't necessarily be a problem. pmjobs.cipd.co.uk/.../
  • In reply to Steven:

Hi Steven, I was interested to read your post as I was in the same situation 10 years ago.  Leaving as a WO1 after 22 years with a Level 7 ILM and Level 5 in Admin Management; I'm only now just starting Level 7 full HR qualification but could have done it years ago.  The experience assessment route might be great for you, depending on what postings you've had.  Alternatively undertake Employment Law and maybe other smaller stand alone courses that are different to being in the Military.  I have found that being a veteran stands you in good stead for employment due to your attributes of loyalty, dependability and independence anyway.  Being able to put CIPD or 'working towards' helps enormously if you decide to apply for HR positions.  The experience you've gained in your military career already gives you the knowledge of people management and managing difficult situations.  The hardest thing I found converting to civilian from military was having to be less direct!  Everything else you've done along the way within AGC and the military will be a bonus to civilian employers.